Policies and Practice

The policies described on this web page and in the downloadable “2018-2019 Dual Credit Handbook” guide important decisions in the Dual Credit Program.  It is worth your time to be familiar with them!

Illinois Residents:
Students residing in the state of Illinois have access to a specific means for registering complaints about the Dual Credit Program with the Illinois Board for Higher Education. See Grievance Policy (below) or click here to access their website.

2018-19 Dual Credit Handbook

General Information

See available courses

Tuition Rate

Tuition for the 2018-2019 academic year is $90 per credit hour.

Student Admission Requirements

Students should be juniors or seniors in high school. Students are required to have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Students with less than a 3.0 cumulative GPA but at least a 2.5 grade point average are eligible for participation in Dual Credit with a letter of recommendation from his/her principal or counselor. The letter of recommendation must verify that in the opinion of the high school administrator: (1) the student’s academic ability in the course(s) to be attempted is not accurately reflected in the student’s cumulative grade point average, and (2) that, in the opinion of the principal or counselor, the student is capable of successful performance in the specified Dual Credit class(es).

High school sophomores can be considered for enrollment only if their participation in the Dual Credit class is the result of successful performance in prerequisite course(s) and if the Dual Credit course is generally restricted to juniors and seniors. Exceptions to the regular admission policy based on grade level should be cleared in advance by a letter from the principal or counselor explaining the circumstances of the enrollment.

For juniors and seniors with a 3.0 cumulative GPA, admission is automatic. For students whose grade or GPA is below the specified minimum, the final decision for admission to the Dual Credit program is the sole responsibility of Concordia University Nebraska.  Students who wish to challenge an admission decision should follow designated grievance procedures found on page 10.

Language Requirements

Concordia University Nebraska relies upon the assessment of the high school teachers and administrators who personally know the student to make a recommendation regarding a students whose skills in English may be less than optimal. In the case that a local recommendation is not possible, general university requirements would apply. Students are required to have a score of 78 or higher on the TOEFL IBT or a 6.0 or higher on the IELTS.

Student Advisement

Concordia University relies on the professional counseling and academic advising provided by the high school staff. Ongoing interaction between university officials and high school administrators ensure that program requirements are clearly articulated to high school students. Students and their parents are also encouraged to contact the program Director via email or phone for additional support. Parents should be aware that a FERPA release will be required to discuss specifics about a student’s record, even if that student is their child and under 18 years of age. See FERPA, Page 16.

Admission and Registration

Enrolling in a Dual Credit class is a two-part process.

The student completes an online Dual Credit Application for Admission.
  • Complete the online application for Dual Credit (link to new app)

Students should complete the Application for Admission to Dual Credit only ONCE PER ACADEMIC YEAR. Note that this is NOT an application for regular undergraduate admission.

The student completes a Course Registration form for his/her school.
  • Return to the Dual Credit Admission and Registration web page (new page linked).
  • Find the correct registration form for your high school and school term.
  • Click on the link and PRINT a copy of the registration form.
  • Complete and sign the registration form (including a parent/guardian signature for students under 18).
  • Return the completed REGISTRATION FORM to the high school and have the counselor or the principal to sign the form.  The tuition payment is made to the high school. Tuition rates are set annually and can be found on page X for this year.
  • Officials from the high school will submit the all forms and payment along with an OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT for each applicant. Forms are submitted to the Dual Credit office at Concordia University Nebraska.

Enrollment cancellation

Beginning with the first day of the semester in which the course begins at the high school, students will be given at least THREE WEEKS (15 school days) to complete their Application for Admission and registration for the Dual Enrollment program. During this time a registered student may change his or her mind and withdraw from Dual Credit without written notice and without academic or financial penalty.

If the student has completed all forms and paid tuition to the high school and THEN decides to withdraw from the course, the student may request and receive a full refund of tuition for the first 5 business days after the registration deadline set by the high school, and then 50% of the tuition from the 6th business day until the end of the eighth week of classes. Dual Credit students in Missouri who are taking a class that extends over the term of both semesters have until the end of the first semester of the class to request a 50% refund.

Students may request this refund by contacting the high school administration. The request for the refund must be made in writing with a student signature; if the student is under 18 years of age, the request must also include a parent signature.  The refund will be made to the party that paid the tuition.

Enrollment Closure

No new students may be registered for the class after registration forms and transcripts are submitted to Concordia University at the end of the third week of the high school class.

Clarifying comment: The intent of the Enrollment Closure policy is to prevent retroactive registration, a practice that permits students to choose whether to register for courses for college credit late in the semester depending upon his/her performance in the class. High school administrators will work with university officials and exercise reasonable discretion with respect to registrations.

Tuition Payments

The payments for Dual Credit tuition will be made payable to the HIGH SCHOOL.  The high school will then receive an invoice for ALL student tuition from Concordia.  Policies for receiving payments from students will be established at the discretion of the high school.

Requirements for All Courses

All courses must follow the official syllabus provided by Concordia University. Courses must use textbooks approved by the appropriate academic department at Concordia University. Each class will be required to participate in the university’s academic assessment program in consultation with the university liaison professor.  (See “University Assessments”, p.20). In addition, the high school Dual Credit instructor may be asked to provide additional anonymous copies of student work to the university as evidence supporting the high quality of the course.

Course Offerings

University courses will be available for inclusion in the Dual Credit program when they meet all of the following criteria:

  • Included in the General Education offerings of the university.
  • Have a course number lower than 300.
  • Are offered regularly at the Seward campus.

Prerequisites for Specific Courses

Some courses offered in the Dual Credit program have specific prerequisites that must be met by the student before he or she is allowed to enroll in the class.

  • Math courses: Successful completion of three years of high school math (or the equivalent), including a pre-calculus course.
  • Biology 111: Successful completion of two semesters of high school biology and two semesters of high school chemistry.
  • Chemistry 115: Successful completion of two semesters of high school chemistry and Algebra II.  Pre-calculus is recommended (or may be taken concurrently).
  • Foreign Language: Successful completion of high school prerequisite course or demonstration to high school faculty of proficiency appropriate for placement in the course.

General Academic Standards

Academic Integrity

At Concordia University Nebraska, we are guided in all of our work by the values of academic integrity: honesty, trust, fairness, responsibility, and respect. Dual Credit students are also required to demonstrate these values in all course work. Participating in a behavior that violates academic integrity (e.g., plagiarism, unauthorized collaboration, multiple submissions, cheating on examinations, or fabricating information) can result in sanctions against the student by both the high school and the university. Violators may be subject to disciplinary action including the following: receiving a failing grade on an assignment or examination, receiving a failing grade for the course, and/or being suspended from the university. Sanctions exercised by the university do not necessarily need to match sanctions exercised by the high school.


All Concordia students are expected to attend all classes and laboratory periods for which they are registered. Valid reasons may arise which make attendance impossible or inadvisable. In those cases, ruling on the validity of excuses is the responsibility of the individual instructor operating within the existing policies established by the high school.

Time Limits for Completion of Courses

All students must receive a grade at the end of a course. In the case that situations beyond the control of the student dictate a need for an “incomplete” grade, policies at the high school will establish the timeline for completion of the grade and Concordia University Nebraska will honor that timeline.

Final Exams and/or Projects Required

Students participating in the Dual Credit Program are REQUIRED to participate in a summative assessment experience designated by their instructor.  This summative assessment frequently is designed as a “final examination” or other project at the end of the course.  High school policies allowing certain students to be exempt from final exams should NOT be applied to Dual Credit courses.


Students are allowed to participate in the Dual Credit Program only with the permission of the participating high school. Disciplinary action taken by the local high school which may restrict a student’s ability to attend class (suspensions) or cause the student to be unable to complete course requirements (expulsion) will be honored by Concordia University and may result in a student’s being required to withdraw from a class.  Students who withdraw from a class as a result of local suspension or expulsion may be eligible to receive a partial refund of tuition in compliance with Dual Credit policy depending upon the date of withdrawal. Students should contact the Director of Dual Credit for more information.

Grievance Policy

Student grievances relating to issues specific to Dual Credit (enrollment, withdrawal, grades, credit and transcripts) should be filed in writing with the local school principal and the Director of Dual Credit.  The grievance notice should include specific factual information relating to the perceived grievance and a suggested remedy.   Upon receipt of the grievance notice, the local principal or the Director of Dual Credit will respond in writing within two weeks.

Grievances deemed to be within the specific responsibility of Concordia University Nebraska (enrollment, withdrawal, grades, credit and transcripts) will be decided by the Director of Dual Credit in consultation with the local high school principal. Grievances related to issues of student conduct or attendance, will be referred to the local principal for response in accord with policies and practices in existence at the high school. All other issues will be considered by both the administration of the high school and the Director of Dual Credit for disposition of the issue in a manner satisfactory to both parties.

In the case of grievances decided by the Director of Dual Credit or cases in which there is a mutual decision between the high school and the university, additional appeals can be directed in writing to the Provost of Concordia University Nebraska who will render a decision in compliance with university policies. In the case of grievances regarding a decision of the high school administration, appeal policies of the high school will apply.

Students residing in the state of Illinois may have additional remedies available to them through the Illinois Board for Higher Education.  They may be contacted via their website  using the information provided below below.

Illinois Board of Higher Education
1 N. Old State Capitol Plaza,  Suite 333
Springfield, Illinois 62701-1377
Phone: (217) 782-2551    Fax: (217) 782-8548     TTY:  (888) 261-2881

Institutional Complaint Hotline(217) 557-7359
Link to the Online Complaint Systemhttp://complaints.ibhe.org/

Parent Access to Student Information

Parents who wish to discuss an issue with Concordia University personnel must have a signed release from the STUDENT to allow Concordia personnel to talk to parents about any academic information no matter the age of the student. (See Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act). However, since the student is simultaneously enrolled in a high school class, parents are free to consult with the classroom teacher as they would for any other high school class.

If parents have a need to discuss an issue with university personnel, a FERPA release form on the Dual Credit website (link to ferpa).  A completed form can be faxed to the Dual Credit Office (402) 643-3328, and when the form has been approved by the university’s Student Life Office, university personnel will then be able to talk to parents about a student’s college records.

Academic Records

Students who enroll in the Concordia Dual Credit Program will have an official academic record at Concordia University.  This means students are required to report their “attendance” at Concordia on any and all college applications or any other document requesting a record of college attendance.  This is regardless of the grade earned in the Dual Credit course, including “withdrawals”.

Grades and Transcripts

Student grades represent a professional judgment of the classroom instructor in accord with any guidelines included in the Concordia course syllabus, this Dual Credit Handbook and applicable local policies.

Grading system

Should a student elect to continue his or her education as a full-time student at Concordia after high school graduation, a system of grade points is used to determine a student’s standing for graduation, for transfer, or to establish status in the various programs of the university. In its marking system Concordia employs letter grades, with pluses and minuses, with the following grade point values:

  • A 4.00
  • A- 3.67
  • B+ 3.33
  • B 3.00
  • B- 2.67
  • C+ 2.33
  • C 2.00
  • C- 1.67
  • D+ 1.33
  • D 1.00
  • D- 0.67
  • F 0.00

Definition of grades

  • A   The student has demonstrated an excellent mastery of the material and has met the objectives of the course in an excellent manner.
  • B   The student has demonstrated a commendable mastery of the material and has met the objectives of the course in a commendable manner.
  • C   The student has demonstrated a satisfactory mastery of the material and has met the objectives of the course in a satisfactory manner.
  • D   The student has not demonstrated a satisfactory mastery of the material, but has met the objectives of the course in a minimal manner.
  • F   The student has failed to master the material and/or meet the objectives of the course.

Note that Concordia University does NOT specify a percentage equivalent for course grades.

All registered students MUST receive a grade.  Students who discontinue their attendance in the high school class and fail to notify the Concordia registrar in writing will receive a failing grade. See “Withdrawing from a Course” Page 14.

If a student is admitted to Concordia University Nebraska as a full-time undergraduate student after graduation from high school, course work to be credited toward graduation or program status must reach a minimum cumulative grade average specified by individual program requirements as listed in the university catalog.

The cumulative grade point average at Concordia University Nebraska includes only the grades of courses attempted at Concordia University Nebraska. If a student enrolls as a full time student after graduation from high school, Dual Credit grades WIIL BE INCLUDED in the student’s cumulative grade point average.

Repeating a class

A student may elect to repeat any course. The highest grade will be used in determining GPA at Concordia. All grades will be included on the transcript. If repeating a class, GPA calculation policies vary widely by institution. Please check with the admissions office of any institution you may be considering to see how a repeated (or failed class, below) course is handled at the school in which you enroll.

Failing grades

In order to earn credit, a failed course must be successfully repeated. Failed courses may present a complication in the transfer of credit. Students are advised to make any future college admissions personnel aware of the issue during the admissions/enrollment process

Grade reports

Grade reports are available online and are mailed to the student’s home address at the end of the semester ONLY upon request.  Students receive only one overall grade for the course. The high school instructor is encouraged to communicate with students about what grade was earned and reported to the university.  However, students need an OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT  from Concordia University Nebraska for the credit to be accepted by other colleges or universities.  A simple grade report will NEVER suffice for transfer of credit. See “Transfer of Credit” (below). Parents are directed to “Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act” on page 7 to learn about access to student grades.

Transfer of credit earned through Concordia Dual Credit

A student does NOT have to attend Concordia University Nebraska after high school in order to receive credit for courses taken during high school in the Concordia Dual Credit Program.  Concordia University Nebraska is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.  Because of its accredited status, other colleges and universities that are also accredited generally accept Concordia credit.  However, students are strongly recommended to check with the institution of their choice regarding the acceptance and application of transfer credit.  It is the institution RECEIVING the credit that determines if credit is accepted and how it is applied.

Students are strongly recommended to check with the institution of their choice regarding the acceptance and application of transfer credit. It is the institution RECEIVING the credit that determines if credit is accepted and how it is applied.

Requesting an official transcript

Transcript requests are handled online through the Concordia transcripts website. Transcripts can be sent in paper format for $7 per copy (via USPS) or electronic format (delivered by email) for $5 per copy.

If using an electronic transcript, the person requesting the transcript must provide an email address to CUNE and ensure the RECIPIENT is willing and able to accept an E-transcript. (They must have an internet connection for the transcript to be validated when it is opened.)

Because grades for the Dual Credit classes cannot be posted until the high school class is completed, students should be aware that a completed transcript will not be available until approximately two weeks after the high school submits grades for the course.

Withdrawing from a Course

The final day a student may withdraw from a course without receiving a grade is two weeks prior to the last day of the high school course. When students WITHDRAW from a course, a “W” is recorded on their college transcript with no effect on the college grade point average.

Tuition considerations related to withdrawing

A full tuition refund is available only for the first five (business) days after registrations are submitted to Concordia University Nebraska.  A 50% refund is available until the end of the eighth week of class.  Students do not receive tuition refunds when they withdraw from a course after the eighth week of class. (Students in Missouri taking  a course that spans BOTH semesters can receive a 50% tuition refund until the last day of the first semester.)

Grade point average considerations related to withdrawing

If a student considers withdrawing to protect his or her future college GPA, the student should be aware that many institutions do not include transfer credit in their GPA calculations.  Students should check with specific colleges regarding their policies.  Transfer of credit may be available to the student without harm to the GPA.

If a student enrolls at Concordia University, Nebraska, the credit is NOT transfer credit, so it WILL be included in the student’s cumulative GPA at Concordia University.

How to withdraw from a course

To withdraw from a Concordia Dual Credit Course, Concordia University must receive a written notice signed by the student and the principal or counselor.  (If the student is under the age of 18, a parent’s signature is also required.)  Email notices are NOT sufficient, but a FAXED note bearing the proper signatures will suffice.  A Withdrawal Form can be found here.

The withdrawal notice can be mailed (USPS) or faxed  to Concordia’s Dual Credit Office at (402) 643-3328.  Students who complete the Application and Enrollment Form are enrolled in both the high school course and the Concordia University course.

Students may withdraw from the Dual Credit aspect of the course without affecting their status in the high school aspect of the course.   If a student discontinues the high school course, he or she must also withdraw from the Dual Credit course.  These are TWO separate processes!

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Beyond the extra challenge of a college-level course, there are important differences between high school and college regarding student records and who has (and who doesn’t have) access to them. FERPA requires educational institutions to both protect the privacy of student records and allow students access to those records.

The U.S. Dept. of Education’s website provides excellent information about FERPA.

Although students and parents may be familiar with FERPA from their high school experience, its provisions change when the student transitions to college. In HIGH SCHOOL the parent of the student “owns’” the rights to the student record until the student reaches the age of 18. At that time, the “ownership” of the rights transfers to the student.

In COLLEGE, REGARDLESS OF THE STUDENT’S AGE, the student controls access to his or her academic record. Since courses in the Concordia Dual Credit Program are college courses, the records kept at Concordia belong to the student, not the parent.

Important differences between high school and college FERPA practices

  1. student signature is required on the Application/Enrollment Form.
  2. If a high school student decides to withdraw from a Dual Credit Program course before completing it, a written notice with the student’s signature and the principal’s or counselor’s signature must be sent to the Concordia registrar.  (If the student is under the age of 18, a parent’s signature is also required.)  Failure to submit a written notice of withdrawal could result in the student’s failing the class.
  3. Official transcripts, necessary for transferring credit to any other college, must be requested from the Concordia transcripts website
  4. Concordia University cannot give grades to the student’s parents or discuss any aspect of the student’s performance in the course without the student’s written permission.

Since the student is simultaneously enrolled in a high school class, parents are free to consult with the classroom teacher as they would for any other high school class. If parents feel a need to discuss any issue with university personnel, a FERPA Release form is included in this booklet on page 15 and is also available on the Dual Credit website. A completed form can be faxed to the Dual Credit Office (402) 643-3328, and when the form has been approved by the university’s Student Life Office, university personnel will then be able to talk to parents about a student’s college records.

Questions about FERPA or academic records can be directed to Concordia’s registrar.


As long as the student’s social security number is recorded on the Application/Enrollment Form, Concordia will send a 1098T reflecting the tuition payment. Receiving the 1098T form could have tax benefits for some individuals.  Individuals are encouraged to consult with a tax professional for additional information.

Financial Aid  

Students in the state of Nebraska who qualify for the ACE scholarship may use those funds for tuition in the Concordia Dual Credit program.  Funds from approved “529” accounts may also be used.  Policies will vary state by state.  Parents and students are encouraged to consult a financial advisor regarding questions about these programs.

Higher Learning Commission- North Central Association of Schools and Colleges.

Concordia University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All Dual Credit policies and practices are in compliance with written HLC policies.

Program Administration

Faculty Status

High school teachers who are approved for the Dual Credit program are considered volunteer adjunct faculty. Classroom instructors participating in the Dual Credit Program do so only with the prior permission of the high school administration. The teacher is not an employee of Concordia University.

Faculty Qualifications

The standards quoted below come from applicable guidelines established by the Higher Learning Commission.

“B.2. Faculty Roles and Qualifications

  1. Qualified faculty members are identified primarily by credentials, but other factors, including but not limited to equivalent experience, may be considered by the institution in determining whether a faculty member is qualified. Instructors…possess an academic degree relevant to what they are teaching and at least one level above the level at which they teach… When faculty members are employed based on equivalent experience, the institution defines a minimum threshold of experience and an evaluation process that is used in the appointment process. Faculty teaching general education courses, or other non-occupational courses, hold a master’s degree or higher in the discipline or subfield. If a faculty member holds a master’s degree or higher in a discipline or subfield other than that in which he or she is teaching, that faculty member should have completed a minimum of 18 graduate credit hours in the discipline or subfield in which they teach.” (2015. Higher Learning Commission, “Determining qualified faculty through HLC’s criteria for accreditation and assumed practices: Guidelines for institutions and peer reviewers. P.2 )

Faculty in all disciplines, other than foreign languages (including ASL), must have completed at least a master’s degree.  If the degree comes from an academic area other than the subject being taught (e.g., a Masters in Education), the teacher must have completed at least 18 semester hours of graduate-level coursework in the subject being taught. Faculty who hold a graduate degree in a single academic area (such as history, biology, English, etc.) will likely meet the academic qualifications.

Certain disciplines, notably foreign languages (including ASL), allow for wider latitude in qualifications based on the tested experience of the individual teacher.   These cases are handled individually.  Concordia University expects that foreign language faculty can demonstrate adequate proficiency in the language. Teachers with at least two years of classroom experience who can also document their status as native speakers of the language may be approved to teach in the program without further language documentation.  When appropriate, a nationally recognized standardized exam will be used to demonstrate proficiency. In the absence of standardized assessment, the high school faculty member will have demonstrated sufficient language proficiency in direct conversation with appropriate Concordia University faculty and/or administrators.

Teachers in the Dual Credit program should also have a minimum of two years’ teaching experience, but guidelines also allow for flexibility in the amount of experience.

The Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences or the Dean of the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences and the Provost of Concordia University Nebraska must approve all high school adjunct faculty. Individual high school teachers who wish to teach a Concordia Dual Credit course must supply Concordia University with original copies of graduate and undergraduate transcripts and a completed Dual Credit Adjunct Faculty Application Form. These forms and transcripts should be sent to the Concordia Dual Credit Program, 800 N. Columbia Ave., Seward, NE 68434.  As instructors complete additional courses, they are obliged to send updated transcripts to CUNE.

Faculty Responsibility for Student Records

Classroom instructors are responsible for supplying CUNE with an accurate roster of students in the class and for notifying the university if changes occur.  Classroom teachers are also responsible for maintaining security of electronic ID and passwords in a manner consistent with the intended use of the account.

Course Grades and Information

Student grades represent a professional judgment of the classroom teacher at the high school. They should be awarded in accord with any guidelines included in the Concordia course syllabus and local high school guidelines. Instructors MUST assign a LETTER grade to each student registered at the end of the course.  The final grade, due within three business days of the end of the class, is the only grade collected by Concordia University.  Instructors are encouraged to contact the Concordia registrar for assistance if needed.

Dual Credit adjuncts are responsible for ensuring that students understand course requirements and that student academic progress is monitored in compliance with the policies and practices of the high school and the university.

Course Supervision

Concordia University will provide a course syllabus from the the class as it is offered on Concordia’s Seward campus.  The high school instructor of the course has considerable latitude in the instructional process, but should keep the content and academic level of the course consistent with the course taught on campus. The Concordia University liaison professor will be available for collegial consultation with the high school instructor, providing guidance and answering questions throughout the duration of the course as requested.

The Concordia University liaison professor will recommend and/or approve the textbook(s) for the course. While it is most desirable that the high school instructor use the same text as is used on the Concordia campus, it is understood that most high schools use a textbook rotation system and that any given textbook needs to be used for a number of years, making discrepancies unavoidable.

In addition to direct contact with the liaison professor, the Director of Concordia Dual Credit, university faculty, or other supervisory personnel will conduct an on-site visit at least once in each academic year.

University Assessment

Working in conjunction with the Concordia liaison professors, all teachers of all Dual Credit courses will participate in the university’s assessment program. Data developed in the assessment program is used in evaluation and development of courses across the university and is part of the ongoing processes related to accreditation. Participation in these assessment activities is mandatory. Any assessments specified during the assessment process can be part of the course for all students taking a specific course whether or not those students are Dual Credit students.

These assessments are also administered to undergraduates taking the same specific course on the main campus in Seward, Nebraska. The assessments are used in CUNE’s internal assessment processes and serve as documentation of the quality of work completed in the entire undergraduate program. They also serve as a point of comparison for work from both Dual Credit and regular undergraduate courses.

Course & Instructor Evaluation

Concordia University will provide a required course/instructor evaluation form for use at the end of the course.  High school instructors may add items to the course evaluation in order to receive feedback that may be specific to their course.  The results of the evaluation will be returned to Concordia to the Director of the Dual Credit Program.  Problems identified by the Course & Instructor evaluation will be discussed with local school administrators and dealt with in compliance with applicable Concordia University and local school policies.

Annual Site Visit

Each year Concordia University will send a representative to observe the class in action. This will usually be the Director of Dual Credit but other individuals (administrators, liaison professors others) may complete the visit at the request of the Director of Dual Credit.

Required Annual Documentation

There are a number of records that need to be sent to the Director of Dual Credit at Concordia in order to document that the class being taught at the high school is in compliance with local high school policies and substantially the same as the class being taught on the CUNE campus.  These documents include:

  • Course Audit Spreadsheet: As with on-campus classes, Dual Credit courses are expected to supply a “course audit” documenting contact hours with students and class expectations for assignments and experiences outside of the classroom.  It is expected that teachers will document 45 hours of course related activity and classroom contact for each credit hour awarded for the course.
  • Course Guide:  Each high school class is expected to provide a detailed “course guide” detailing certain academic requirements for the course.  Concordia University will provide high school instructors with a “template” including certain required elements which may not be altered (e.g., course description, goals and objectives) and notations for other elements which can be completed in a way that accurately reflects the conduct of the class as it is held at the high school.
  • Memorandum of Understanding: Verifies that the course is being offered in concert with local practices and with full administrative support.
  • Grade submission forms: In order for students to receive grades, letter grades for all students are sent to the Director of Dual Credit within three business days after the conclusion of the course.  The Dual Credit Office will provide the high school instructor with the blank final grade roster.
  • University Assessment: Assessment protocols (see page above) provided by Concordia University must be completed in each Dual Credit course.
  • Course & Instructor evaluation: Each student in each class will be asked to complete a voluntary Course/Instructor evaluation provided by CUNE.  The instructor can add supplemental questions to the evaluation, but should not delete any of the items.  Once local administrators have completed their review of the information, the forms should be sent to the Director of Dual Credit for forwarding to the appropriate dean and the University Provost.

Incidents of School Non-Compliance.

Concordia University recognizes that rules and policies set for accreditation at the college/university level are substantially different than those established for high schools.  Consequently, the Concordia liaisons and program administrators will make every effort to clearly convey the intent, meaning and timelines related to university policies for Dual Credit.

In the case that there are omissions or oversights related to policy compliance, Concordia University will work diligently with the high school administration (and individual teachers, as appropriate) to ensure that necessary data or documentation is submitted as soon as possible.  Concordia University will also work to develop a plan to correct the error or oversight in subsequent years. For example, failure of a Dual Credit teacher to submit required annual information (assessment data, course guides, etc.) presents considerable problems for the university which could put program credibility, and even accreditation, at risk.

If an instructor or a school demonstrates a consistent pattern of these errors or omissions for more than a single academic year, it may be necessary for Concordia University to end its affiliation with a specific course, teacher, or school.

Benefits for Teachers and School

Schools and students that participate in the Dual Credit Program are entitled to certain

benefits.  Benefits are the same for Blended and Independent courses.

  • Stipends for course and school support: Schools will receive a stipend of at least $560 for every course offered in the Dual Credit Program, pending completion of requirements.  The stipend is issued in paid at the conclusion of the course upon completion of assessment, grades and teacher evaluation tasks. There is an additional stipend of $100 for for every additional 10 students up to 75 students, which will then result in a maximum stipend payment (See table, below). A stipend for a course cannot exceed the amount of tuition received by Concordia University Nebraska for the course.
  • Number of Students Enrolled in Course Payment
    25 or fewer $560
    26-35 $660
    36-45 $760
    46-55 $860
    56-65 $960
    66-75 $1060
  • Dual Credit Conference: CUNE sponsors a biennial Dual Credit Conference to provide a significant professional development opportunity for teachers.  In addition, time is scheduled for interaction and collaboration between university liaison faculty and high school adjuncts.  Travel stipends are available and housing and meals are provided at no charge by CUNE when participants are on campus.
  • Graduate course tuition remission for teachers: Tuition remission for participation in Concordia University Nebraska graduate courses is available at a rate of 3 graduate hours of tuition remission for every 50 Dual Credit student hours registered by the high school.  The principal of the local high school assigns the school’s tuition remission hours to any full- or part-time teacher at the school.  Earned tuition remission hours become available in the academic year following the one in which they are earned (i.e., after July 1). The earned tuition remission hours expire if they are not used in two years. Individual teachers are limited to tuition remission for no more than two courses in an academic year (July 1 to June 30). Interested individuals should contact the Director of Dual Credit before beginning the graduate registration process.
  • Subject Area Mastery (SAM) Scholarships: Concordia University offers a program to recruit teachers for future participation in the Dual Credit Program. The lack of qualified teachers is probably the single greatest obstacle encountered when discussing program expansion with principals in participating schools and with those who would be interested in joining the program.  SAM Scholarships will provide financial support to enable candidates to teach in the Dual Credit Program.          Priority will be given to candidates who have already completed a master’s degree but who lack additional graduate level course work in the specific academic discipline. If teachers are selected for the program, CUNE will provide them with financial support to complete appropriate graduate level course work at any accredited graduate program. This is a competitive scholarship. Candidates should contact the Director of Concordia Dual Credit, for an application and detailed policies.
  • Online resources: Students and teachers will be given access to Concordia’s online library and database resources. In addition to having access to major subscription databases such as ERIC, Psych Info and Journal Finder, students can also make use of CUNE’s Online Tutoring and the Writing Lab.  Information for accessing these services will be distributed in class at the high school.
  • Student ID: Local students will receive a student ID, which, when accompanied by a photo ID, allows access to all student events at Concordia University Nebraska such as games, concerts, and drama productions. Students from more distant locations will be accorded the same privileges when visiting campus.

The allocation of these stipends and benefits is done in consultation with the high school administration.  All financial payments are made to the school and are distributed at the sole discretion of the high school administration.

Concordia University Dual Credit Administrative Staff

Program Director

Mr. Ben Stellwagen     800-535-5494          Ext. 7480

Adm. Assistant

Jane Heinicke            800-535-5494            -7480

Dean, College of Arts and Sciences

Dr. Brent Royuk           800-535-5494         -7496

Dean, College of Education, Health and Human Sciences

Dr. Nancy Elwell           800-535-5494           -7337

University Provost

Dr. Timothy Preuss 800-535-5494                  -7374


Brad Woodruff                 800-535-5494            -7203

All Concordia personnel can be contacted via email using the format firstname.lastname@cune.edu