Who can take Dual Credit?

Dual Credit is general limited to high school juniors and seniors with a 3.0+ cumulative GPA. Under certain circumstances, Sophomores or students with a GPA less than 3.0 may take a class.

Do I need an application for admission every year?

Admission to Program: Students need to complete ONE online Application for Admission per academic year. Seniors who took Dual Credit classes as juniors will need to complete a new Application for Admission.

IF a student completed an application for Admission for a Fall course, a new Application for admission is NOT required for a class that starts in second semester. If the student has not yet enrolled in any Dual Credit courses in that academic year, BOTH an application for admission and a registration form must be completed.

When do we register for Dual Credit Classes?

This will vary by school. For a full year course and for courses that occur in the Fall term, registration is done in August/September, during the first three weeks of school. For courses that start in second semester, registration generally occurs in January.

What happens if a students does not finish registration by the end of the third week of school?

A completed registration includes 1) Online Application for Admission, 2) Completed (with signatures) course registration form and 3) Tuition payment.

Students who do not meet the deadline will not be allowed to register for the course. The intent of the Enrollment Closure policy is to prevent retroactive registration, a practice that permits students to choose whether to register for courses for college credit late in the semester depending upon his/her performance in the class. High school administrators will work with university officials and exercise reasonable discretion with respect to registrations.

What if a student changes his/her mind and want to cancel Dual Credit enrollment?

IF the cancellation is before the end of the third week of class, the student can tell the teacher and ask the high school for a refund if tuition has been paid.

If the enrollment cancellation is after the 3rd week but before the 8th week, the student should notify the teacher and send a withdrawal form to the Dual Credit office. The student will receive a 50% tuition refund.

If the enrollment cancellation is after the 8th week, the student should notify the teacher and send a withdrawal form to the Dual Credit office. No tuition is refunded after the eighth week.

Students in Missouri who are in a full-year class are eligible to receive a 50% refund up to the mid-point of the course.


How much is tuition?

For the 2018-2019 academic year, tuition is $90 per credit hour. Tuition for a three-credit class will be $270 . A four-credit course will cost $360.


Does a high school textbook need to be approved by the university?

Yes, all textbooks must be approved. However, Concordia University offers high schools considerable latitude in textbook selection. In an ideal situation, the text used in the course is the same as the text used on campus, but considering high school text replacement cycles, this may not be possible. The Liaison Professor and Director of Dual Credit should be consulted.


What about problems with student discipline, academic integrity and/or attendance?

Concordia University supports the policies and practices of the local high school. Should a student conduct himself/herself in such a way as to jeopardize continued participation in a given course, the Director of Dual Credit should be notified.


Are students required to take a final exam?

A summative assessment at the end of the course is expected for all students in the Dual Credit program. While a final exam is most common, projects or presentations can be considered in consultation with the Liaison Professor.


Since this is a college class, can a teacher speak to parents about a student’s grade or course performance?

This is also a high school class and as the high school teacher, you can discuss issues with parents exactly as you would with any other high school class.

However, officials from Concordia University Nebraska must have student permission to speak to parents about the student’s information. A FERPA Waiver form is included on the Dual Credit website to facilitate communication between parents and the university.


What grading scale does Concordia University use? Are there specific percentages for specific grades?

Concordia University does not specify percentage equivalents for course grades. Grades are left to the discretion of the instructor and should be assigned in accordance with the grading system specified by the university.


I plan to attend Concordia Nebraska after I graduate. How do I transfer my credit?

Students who will attend Concordia University Nebraska do not need to do anything. No transfer of credit is required.


I plan to attend a different university after high school. How do I transfer my credit?

Students should go to Concordia Nebraska’s transcript website and order a transcript there. (www.cune.edu/transcripts)


I plan to attend one of the other Concordia Universities after I graduate from high school. How do I transfer credit to another Concordia?

Students should go to Concordia Nebraska’s transcript website and order a transcript there. (www.cune.edu/transcripts)


What assessments are required by Concordia University?

All Dual Credit classes are included in the overall university assessment program used to supply data for verification of outcomes required by accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission. Assessments may vary from year to year. The Liaison Professor will work with the high school teacher to make sure they have the information need to complete required assessments.

High school teachers who have not received information about assessment requirements by the mid-point of the course should contact the Dual Credit office.


What is the purpose of the Course & Instructor Evaluation?

At the end of each course, students are offered the opportunity to complete a confidential evaluation of the course and the instructor. Problems indicated in the evaluation will be attended to by the Director of Dual credit working in conjunction with the high school administration.


What happens during a “site visit” by the Director of Dual Credit or other university representatives?

Site visits by university personnel are intended to build a connection between the university and the high school by establishing a personal relationship between involved individuals. The university representatives are expecting to see teachers teaching classes and to meet teachers, administrators and students that are involved in the program.


Are teachers paid for participating in the Dual Credit Program?

Concordia University pays a stipend to the school for each course taught during the year. How those funds are used is a local decision made entirely by the high school administration.


Can teachers get free graduate courses from Concordia?

Graduate tuition waivers are earned by high schools based on the credit hours registered through the high school. For every 50 credit hours registered by students, the high school receives a tuition waiver for one 3 credit graduate class offered through Concordia’s Graduate College. The principal of the school assigns the waivers at his/her discretion. All full or part-time faculty of the high school are eligible for consideration for a waiver of tuition for up to 6 credits in an academic year. Waivers expire if not used within two academic years,


Are there other scholarship opportunities for teachers?

Concordia University also offers the Subject Area Mastery Scholarships (SAMS) for teachers who wish to take additional course work to enable participation in the Dual Credit program. Partial tuition reimbursement is available to teachers who participate. Funding is limited. Interested instructors or administrators should contact the Director of Dual Credit for an application.

What online resources are available to students and instructors?

Participants in the Dual Credit program have password protected access to all of the online resources available to the on-campus population. Concordia University’s library subscribes to these online collections: Academic Search Premier; Alexander Street Drama Collection; ATLA Serials; Biblical Archaeology Society Archive; Britannica Online Academic Edition; Canterbury Dictionary of Hymnody; CINAHL Plus Full Text; Communication & Mass Media Complete; Films on Demand Master Academic Collection; JSTOR Essential Collection; Lexis Nexis; Literature Resource Center; Oxford Music Online; RILM (International music research); SportDISCUS (Health, exercise, and sport). In addition to these databases of journal articles, theses, films, and other media, the library makes over 38,000 e-books available through our library catalog. The library website also offers links to thousands of scholarly open access journals through the Directory of Open Access Journals. Library staff assists distance students via phone and email to make sure all Concordia students, including dual-credit, are able to use these resources.