General Grievance Procedure

These are general guidelines for all grievances other than those involving sexual discrimination.

Complaints regarding any type of sexual discrimination (harassment, assault, stalking…) should be immediately directed to the University Title IX Coordinator at: 402-643-7192

The following procedures relate to general grievances that may pertain to conflict between individuals or a complaint about some particular issue. Concordia University believes that all individuals should be treated with respect and dignity and receive the best quality of services possible. Additionally as Christians we strive to respond to conflict biblically. Biblical conflict resolution can help us grow to be more like Christ, give us an opportunity to serve one another, and model to the world our dedication to God’s call on our lives.

Share Your Concern with the Appropriate Individual

Individuals are encouraged first to bring their concerns to the individual responsible for the behavior, action, or particular issue or the supervisor of the department which oversees the particular individual or area of concern. In many cases, self-corrective measures may be taken when the individual responsible for the actions or behaviors becomes aware of how their actions or behaviors are being received. In terms of general complaints, a supervisor may be able to remedy the problem by taking appropriate action. At this point, through direct and gracious interaction or administrative action the matter may be concluded by mutual consent.

Report Your Concerns to the Student Life Office

The university recognizes that at times personal resolution regarding behavior issues, conflicts or other general grievances may not be successful; or such a strategy may be inappropriate or ill-advised, especially when the matter is severe or if a person who holds a position of authority is the individual responsible for the actions, behavior or area of concern. Thus, if satisfactory resolution does not occur, the individual should be prepared to furnish a signed complaint form with specific dates, names and facts to the Student Life Office. All such complaints will be treated in a confidential manner to the extent feasible while permitting Concordia University to thoroughly investigate the complaint, involve appropriate supervisors when necessary and take appropriate action. The Director of Student Services and/or VP for Student Affairs and Athletics will conduct an investigation with the goal of finding satisfactory resolution for all parties.

Appeal Process

If the concerns are not satisfactorily addressed a request for a review of the situation may be made to the vice president responsible for the program or department. In discrimination cases, the review will be conducted by the Director of Human Relations.

Students have the right to pursue an appeal during the time of their program. The following lines of appeal have been designed to assure students that they have been dealt with in a Christian manner that is in keeping with the purpose and the policies of Concordia University. All appeals must be submitted in writing and addressed to the designated administrative officer within five business days after the student has been notified of the decision regarding the original complaint. The written appeal should state the basis on which the appeal is being made and should contain specific information.

Appeals must be submitted in writing and should be directed, in the order listed below, to the appropriate administrator within five business days based on a student’s notification of a decision a student wishes to dispute relating to:

  1. Course work, grades, or academic dishonesty: course instructor, program director, college dean, university provost
  2. Student academic records: registrar, university provost
  3. Financial matters: student financial services, chief financial officer
  4. Program requirements, admission to or dismissal from specific academic programs: program director, college dean, university provost
  5. Parking Tickets: Director of Facilities
  6. Disciplinary action: Vice President for Student Affairs and Athletics or an appellate board
  7. Athletics: Vice President for Student Affairs and Athletics
  8. Academic Dismissal from the University: University provost

The decisions of the university provost and the chief financial officer may be appealed to the university president, whose decision is final.

All final appeals to the president must be submitted in writing and within five business days after the student has been notified of the decision.

if the concerns are still not satisfactorily addressed, students have the right to file a complaint with:

Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education
PO Box 95005
Lincoln, NE 68509-5005

Nebraska Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division
2115 State Capitol
Lincoln, NE 68509
Consumer protection hotline: 800-727-6432