University A Cappella Choir
University A Cappella Choir 2017 Tour
The A Cappella Choir from Concordia University, Nebraska, will travel to Wisconsin, Michigan and Indiana for its annual tour March 22 - 27. The choir will conclude the tour with two local-area concerts on Sunday, April 2nd at 2 p.m. at St. Thomas Aquinas (Newman Center) in Lincoln and at 7 p.m. at St. John Lutheran Church in Seward.
The choir performs full-length concerts, high school assemblies and church worship services. The repertoire of sacred and secular choral compositions spans all historical periods and is representative of many cultures. This year’s concert features the works of Tomas Luis da Victoria, Giacomo Puccini, Francis Poulenc, Norman Luboff, David von Kampen, Austin Theriot, Moses Hogan and others.
The A Cappella Choir has toured the U.S. each year and internationally approximately every four years since its inception in 1939, performing throughout Europe, the Middle East, Australia, Asia and Mexico. It also has participated in international choral festivals in Australia and Austria, placing first and third respectively while under the direction of Dr. von Kampen.
2017 Tour Schedule
About the University A Cappella Choir
Concordia University’s A Cappella Choir has been performing concerts and joining congregations in worship for 75 years. The choir was organized in 1938-39 by Dr. Theodore Stelzer, professor of music and psychology. One of the United States' oldest touring Lutheran college choirs, the A Cappella Choir has performed extensively throughout America (including Hawaii), and internationally in Greece, Italy, France, Egypt, Israel, Lebanon, India, Thailand, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, the Philippines, Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Spain, Mexico and Australia.
The 72-voice concert choir is chosen by audition each fall. Student membership is comprised of majors from most academic disciplines representing 15 different states and some foreign countries. Over 180 students audition each fall for a position in the internationally renowned concert choir.
The A Cappella Choir has been invited to perform for music conferences, choral festivals, and international competitions in recent years. They received the Gold Medal for performance at the 12th Annual Australian International Music Festival and earned a place in the winners circle at the 42nd Annual International Choral Competition in Spittal and der Drau in Austria. The choir has regularly performed for the Nebraska Music Education Association’s annual conference and was one of two Nebraska choirs selected to perform for the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) North Central Division choral hour in March 2006.
- Yearly domestic tours covering nearly every state in the U.S.A.
- International touring since 1961.
- International Competitions in Australia (2001) and Austria (2004 and 2009).
- Collaborations with the Omaha Nebraska Symphony Orchestra, Lincoln Abendmusik Chorus, Guam University Singers and the Peninsula Symphony Orchestra of Los Angeles.
- Participated in clinics led by leading U.S. choral conductors including Anton Armstrong (St. Olaf College), René Clausen (Concordia, Moorhead), and Weston Noble (Luther College).
- Selected to perform for the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) North Central Convention in 2006.
- Selected to perform for the 2001, 2004, 2007, and 2010 Nebraska Music Education Association conference.
- The choir has recorded 6 compact discs including “I AM Forever WHO I AM” (2002), “All Sounds Became Music” (2004), “The Light of Morning” (2006), “In Thy Sweet Humility” (2007), “Hear My Voice” and “Music Down In My Soul: Spirituals.” (2011).