Concordia’s Ag Scholarship Program
Concordia University, Nebraska is dedicated to increasing the number of future stewards who will care for God’s earth and learn, serve and lead in agriculture for the sake of others. As a Uzziah Scholar, you will be challenged to solve real-world challenges, explore the many facets of agriculture in depth and be a part of creating sustainable, long-lasting and ethically sound agriculture practices for the future.
What is a Uzziah Scholar?
In the Bible, King Uzziah is described as a powerful man, with productive farms and a highly trained and equipped army. God Himself gave Uzziah wonderful success as long as he sought the Lord. Concordia’s Uzziah Scholars are devoted to becoming Christian leaders, solving problems in agriculture in their local and global communities and serving as stewards of all agriculture and agricultural resources through their chosen vocations.
Uzziah Scholars receive a yearly scholarship and typically major in agricultural sciences, agricultural education or business administration with agribusiness concentration, though in some instances, those minoring in an ag-related program find success in the program.
As a Uzziah Scholar, you will have the opportunity to
- Receive a $5,000 per year scholarship for up to five years.
- Connect regularly with a mentor serving in the field of agriculture.
- Attend ag-related conferences and conventions.
- Participate in domestic and international agricultural study tours.
- Participate in an internship with an agriculturally-based mission.
- Attend an annual luncheon with the President of the University.
- Represent Concordia in national agriculture-related contests.
Apply to be a Uzziah Scholar
Anyone who has been successfully admitted to Concordia University, Nebraska and intends to major or minor in an agriculture-related program may apply for the Uzziah Scholars program. To apply, submit the following to Dennis.Brink@cune.edu:
- Online application form
- Letter of application
- Resume, including leadership activities and service
- Letter of recommendation from an individual that is not a family member
- Application essay that includes (1,500 words minimum):
- The importance of agriculture and learning about agriculture for the sake of others.
- Why the applicant desires to become a Uzziah Scholar.
- Three specific contributions the applicant will make to others as a Uzziah Scholar.
Professor of Agricultural Science
Assistant Professor of Agricultural Science
Students who apply for the Uzziah Scholarship must remain active members of the Uzziah Scholars program. Uzziah Scholars must major or minor in an agricultural program, maintain a minimum major GPA of 3.5 and cannot receive sports or performance scholarships while in the program. They will also be required to participate in development and leadership activities determined by the Uzziah Scholars Director.
Uzziah Scholars receive an annual scholarship of $5,000 each year for up to five years while attending Concordia University. Scholars also benefit from many networking and leadership opportunities designed help them successfully obtain and navigate a career in agriculture after graduation.
Applications will be reviewed within two weeks of submission and applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision via email.