Chamber choir to tour Florida in May
Concordia University, Nebraska’s 16-voice University Chamber Choir will perform a variety of sacred and secular choral pieces on an eight-day tour in Florida May 10-17.
“The tour gives the choir the opportunity to perform their music multiple times, which helps them ‘own’ the music,” said Professor of Music Kurt von Kampen. “It also is a time for the group to learn to work together and build each other up in Christ, something we want all Concordia students to experience.”
Highlights of the tour concerts include an arrangement of three poems by Robert Frost from Randall Thompson's “Frostiana,” as well as arrangements of the hymns “Go To Dark Gethsemane” and “It Is Well With My Soul.” The group will also perform a new piece based on Psalm 46, which incorporates one of the stanzas from the hymn “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God.”
The select choir, chosen from the 72-voice University A Cappella Choir, sings a diverse repertoire of sacred and secular choral music from many historical periods.
The University Chamber Choir was formed in the fall of 1998 and has traveled extensively throughout the United States, with concert tours to Arizona, California, Colorado and throughout the Midwest.
Von Kampen earned a bachelor’s degree in music from Concordia University, Nebraska, a master’s degree in choral conducting from Oakland University and a doctorate in choral music education from the University of Nebraska.
The tour schedule is as follows:
Sunday, May 10: Grace Lutheran Church, Winter Haven, Florida worship services at 8:30 and 10:45 a.m., concert at 7 p.m.
Monday, May 11: Saint Michael Lutheran Church, Fort Myers, Florida, concert at 7 p.m.
Tuesday, May 12: Grace Lutheran Church, Naples, Florida, concert at 7 p.m.
Wednesday, May 13: Grace Lutheran Church, Key West, Florida, concert at 7 p.m.
Friday, May 15: Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, Davie, Florida, concert at 8 p.m.
Saturday, May 16: Saint Paul Lutheran Church, Boca Raton, Florida, worship service at 6 p.m.
Sunday, May 17: Saint Paul Lutheran Church, Boca Raton, Florida, worship services at 8 a.m. and 11 a.m.
Students in the Chamber Choir include:
- Jacob Fink, sophomore, Long Beach, Calif., bass
- Joshua Weishaar, senior, Salinas, Calif., bass
- Evan Root, senior, Naples, Fla., tenor
- Meredith Locke, freshman, Winter Haven, Fla., soprano
- Matthew Kortze, freshman, Rockford, Ill., bass
- Jennifer Reynolds, senior, Fort Wayne, Ind., alto
- Luke Wohlgemuth, senior, Alton, Iowa, bass
- Zachary Klatt, senior, Shawnee Mission, Kan., tenor
- Emily Sievert, sophomore, Frankenmuth, Mich., soprano
- Benjamin Hayter, sophomore, Concordia, Mo., tenor
- Karen Burgess, junior, Lee’s Summit, Mo., soprano
- Tapainga Kahle, freshman, Imperial, Neb., soprano
- Clara Rich, junior, Lincoln, Neb., alto
- Shelby Stolze, senior, Norfolk, Neb., alto
- Adrienne Langewisch, senior, Seward, Neb., alto
- Jordan Miller, senior, Tomball, Texas, tenor