Concordia students will present “Cinderella with the Commedia Players” by Lane Riosley March 27 at 7:30 p.m., March 28 at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. and March 29 at 2 p.m. All shows will be in the Studio Theatre in the lower level of the Music Building.
“The style of the performance, commedia dell’arte, is the most unique element for us. The style of this show is fast-paced and energetic,” said Bryan Moore, director of theatre at Concordia. “It works well in telling this familiar story of Cinderella in a different and fun way—and with new characters. We aim to maintain the spirit of commedia and give the audience an enjoyable experience.”
Originally created in 16th century Italy, the commedia dell’arte traveling troupe of comedic players would carry all of the props and costumes, often found during the players’ journeys between towns, in a push cart or trunk, and they take out whatever they need at that moment during the show. The performers handle all of the acting, music and technology, so they have to be ready to change characters and help each other with scenery and costumes.
“Figuring out how to keep everyone involved and how to use common objects in alternate ways is a fun and creative challenge,” said Moore.
Tickets are $5 for the community and $3 for Concordia students, faculty and staff and children 12 and under.
Cast members (alphabetical by state, city and last name):
- Christopher Wilson, senior, Fremont, Calif., playing the role of Zanni
- Ben Leeper, junior, Falcon, Colo., playing the role of Scaramouche
- Tyler Hoyt, freshman, Tyngsboro, Mass., playing the role of Arlequin
- Izaak Wendorff, sophomore, Winthrop, Minn., playing the role of Rogantino
- Emily Kollbaum, sophomore, Concordia, Mo., playing the role of Columbine
- Sean Carpenter, senior, Hollis, N.H., playing the role of Mezzetino
- Ann Spilker, sophomore, Ashland, Neb., playing the role of Rosetta
- Andrea Wiese, freshman, Ashland, Neb., playing the role of Ruffiana
- Paul Nelson, sophomore, Norfolk, Neb., playing the role of Punchin
- Elyssia Finch, junior, Omaha, Neb., playing the role of Isabella
Crew members (alphabetical by state, city and last name):
- Joseph Pierson, sophomore, Van Buren, Ark., helping with scenery
- Pamela Jones, sophomore, Goleta, Calif., helping with costumes
- Brooke Zarick, senior, Seymour, Ind., stage management
- Rory Wendelin, graduate student, Oberlin, Kan., assistant director
- Libby Klein, sophomore, Northfield, Minn., stage management
- Delaney Sommers, senior, Grain Valley, Mo., stage management
- Chad Berg, sophomore, West Fargo, N.D., helping with scenery
- Bryan Moore, associate professor of communication and theatre, Seward, Neb., director of the show
- Robert Olson, Seward, Neb., community member helping with scenery
- Kirsten Awe, senior, Tilden, Neb., helping with costumes