Concordia University, Nebraska’s music programs offer rigorous preparation to glorify God in your future vocations through the study and performance of music. Through applied lessons, participation in one of our outstanding ensembles or academic music pursuits, hundreds of students of any major can make great music and lifelong friendships at Concordia.
Want to learn more?
A Distinctive Education
- About a third of Concordia students participate in music through lessons, ensembles and classes.
- Several ensembles tour nationally, and the A Cappella Choir takes an international tour every four years.
- Music majors from 20+ different states call Concordia home.
- Students may spend a semester in Cambridge, England’s leading center for choral and church music.
- There are 12 organs on campus by 11 different builders.
- Most pianos in the music department were manufactured by Steinway, and we are on the way to becoming an all-Steinway school.
- Concordia students won the biennial Richard Hillert Award in Student Composition in 2018, 2020 and 2022.
- Concordia students won the biennial Norma Aamodt-Nelson Student Scholar Award of the Association of Lutheran Church Musicians in 2021 and 2023.
- A Concordia graduate was a 2023 winner of the Metropolitan Opera’s Eric and Dominique Laffont Competition.
- Concordia is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
Events for High School Students
National Honor Band
Each year, the best high school instrumentalists from around the country audition to be a part of Concordia’s National Honor Band. In their time on campus, selected participants work with Concordia's music faculty and students in rehearsals and a performance.
National Honor Choir
High school singers from around the country can audition to be part of Concordia’s National Honor Choir and work with music faculty and students in rehearsals and a performance.
Summer Music Camp
Explore your God-given musical talents with our summer music camp for high schoolers! Attend music classes and rehearsals with Concordia faculty and students.
Summer Chamber Choir
The Summer Chamber Choir gives Seward-area high school students an opportunity to work with the conductor of our top choirs. Auditions are held beginning in April, with rehearsals twice per week and performances on July 4 and in August.
Upcoming Events and Tours
Christmas at Concordia
Christmas at Concordia is a cherished annual tradition of scripture readings, hymns and choral and instrumental music from Concordia students and faculty. More than 3,000 attendees travel from all over the country to attend the concert series.
|100%career outcome rate
|100%career outcome rate
|98%career outcome rate
Concordia’s award-winning music faculty includes active recitalists, clinicians, composers and church musicians.
- All 5 full-time music faculty members have received teaching awards.
- 300+ published musical compositions
- 20+ part-time specialists teach applied lessons, composition and other courses.
All students are welcome to audition for ensembles, even if you aren’t a music major. Concordia's ensembles provide professional music education and performance preparation in a wide range of vocal and instrumental combinations.
At Concordia Nebraska, students who perform in music ensembles have access to rehearsal spaces, practice rooms, instruments, a recital hall and a recording studio, each designed to support and encourage your musical endeavors. Here, you’ll find everything you need to become the musician you want to be.
Concordia values the talents and music contributions of students in all programs—any new student is eligible for a music scholarship, regardless of major. Students intending to major in music are invited to audition for our full-tuition music scholarship, awarded by competition each fall. For the full tuition scholarship awarded in 2025-26, auditions must be received by October 25, 2024.