2005 - Men's Soccer schedule/results

6-12-0 Overall, 3-8 GPAC -Season Statistics


Aug. 27

Alumni Game

Seward, Neb.

3:00 p.m.

Aug. 30

William Penn University

Oskalossa, Iowa

W 2-0


Sept. 2

Ottawa University

Ottawa, Kan.

W 2-0

Sept. 4


Seward, Neb.

L 1-0

Sept. 7

York College

Seward, Neb.

W 4-3(OT)

Sept. 10

John Brown University

Seward, Neb.

L 6-0

Sept. 13

University of St. Mary

Leavenworth, Kan.

L 3-2

Sept. 17

University of Sioux Falls*

Sioux Falls, S.D.

L 2-1 (2 OT)

Sept. 20

Doane College*

Crete, Neb.

W 2-1 (OT)

Sept. 22

Bellevue University

Bellevue, Neb.

L 2-0

Sept. 24

Mount Marty College*

Seward, Neb.

W 4-1

Sept. 28

Midland Lutheran*

Seward, Neb.

L 1-0


Oct. 1

Briar Cliff *

Sioux City, Iowa

W 4-0

Oct. 4

Hastings College*

Hastings, Neb.

L 3-0

Oct. 8


Seward, Neb.

L 1-0

Oct. 12

Dana College*

Seward, Neb.

L 1-0 (20T)

Oct. 15

Morningside College*

Sioux City, Iowa

L 2-1 (OT)

Oct. 18

Nebraska Wesleyan*

Lincoln, Neb.

L 2-0

Oct. 22


Seward, Neb.

L 4-1

*Great Plains Athletic Conference Games
All Home Games in BOLD


2005 - Men's Soccer roster






Previous School


Noah Enke



Bunker Hill, Ill.

Metro East Lutheran


Tristan Ilko



Edmundton, Alberta

St. Francis Xavier


Bryan Schranz



Seward, Neb.



Joel Sattgast



Huron, S.D.



Ben Bruns



Columbus, Neb.



Paul White



Wichita, Kan.



Kyle Bray



DeSoto, Kan.



Micah Chaffee



Lincoln, Neb.

Lincoln Lutheran


Sean Busha



Longview, Texas

LeTourneau University


Paul Endorf



St. Louis, Mo.

Lutheran North


Luke Busha



Longview, Texas

Pine Tree


Stephan Gonzales



Jefferson City, Mo.



Dan Graumann



Rapid City, S.D.

Rapid City Christian


Joe Yakobe



Blantyre, Malaui

Georgian Perimeter


Richard Schwartz



Westminster, Colo.

Denver Lutheran


Tyler Barry



Lincoln, Neb.

Lincoln East


Jeff Weides



Kearney, Neb.



Matt Elmshauser



Littleton, Colo.

Denver Lutheran


Armando Hernandez



El Paso, Texas



Abel Rodriguez



El Paso, Texas



Theron Jenkins, Jr.



Owings Mills, Md.

Baltimore Lutheran


Nick Holmes



Southampton, England

Trinity Prep


Brian Burgess



Eckert, Colo.


Bulldogs open season with win

30 AUG 2005

The men's soccer team picked up a season-opening win against William Penn University on Tuesday 2-0.

Concordia got on the board first with a goal by Luke Busha in the first half. The Bulldogs took the 1-0 lead into halftime. Micah Chaffee added another goal in the second half of an assist from Jeff Weides. Concordia held firm defensively to pitch the shutout. Despite the win, the Bulldogs did pick up their bumps, as Joe Yakobe left the game with a cut over his eye that required stitches.

Concordia continues their season on Friday as they travel to Kansas to take on Ottawa. Game time is set for 4:00 p.m.

Soccer splits over weekend

2-4 SEP 2005

The men's soccer team continued it's early season success, picking up a 2-0 win over Ottawa on Friday before dropping a 1-0 decision to Newman on Sunday.

On Friday it was the second straight game that Noah Enke posted a shutout for Concordia. Micah Chaffee and Armandao Hernandez both scored goals for the Bulldogs. Chaffee's goal came on an assist from Jeff Weides, while Hernandez's was assited by Abel Rodriguez.

"Our guys played with a lot of heart against a team that was very physical," said head coach Art Busha.

On a hot, breezy Sunday, the Bulldogs stayed close, but couldn't capitalize on opportunities to tie the game up against Newman.

"I thought we came out a sluggish in the first half. Mentally I don't think we were prepared," Busha said. "In the second half we stepped things up and had chance to win the game, but some shots just went wide."

The Bulldogs will look to get back to their winning ways on Wednesday as they take on York College at Bulldog Stadium. Game time is slated for 7:00 p.m.

Men win thriller against York

7 SEP 2005

Fans attending the Concordia versus York soccer match Wednesday needed to have their seatbelts buckled as it was a rollercoaster ride of a game. The Bulldogs prevailed 4-3 on Micah Chaffee's game-winning goal in overtime. Early on Concordia trailed, then tied, then took the lead and looked to have the victory sealed before York scored to force overtime.

The Panthers got on the board early, scoring at the 3:33 mark to take a 1-0 lead. York would add another goal just shy of the 18 minute mark to jump out to the 2-0 advantage. It seemed as if the Bulldogs would go into the half without a goal, but with 30 seconds remaining in the first half Abel Rodriquez scored on an assist from Luke Busha to close the margin. Ironically the Bulldog out shot the Panthers in the first half 11-8.

In a physical game that saw four yellow cards handed out, neither team could put the ball in the net in the second half. It took until the 70:31 mark for Luke Busha to tie things up as he scored off a Chaffee corner kick. Tied at two, overtime loomed in the distance. But with 90 seconds remaining Seward native Bryan Schranz took a pass from Chaffee to put the Bulldogs on top 3-2. From that point on Concordia tried to keep the ball on the York side of the field, but with five seconds left Fran Quinn scored his second goal of the night on a 25-yard kick that just went over the top of Bulldog goalkeeper Tristan Illko's hands, tying the game at three.

In the overtime frame Chaffee came free in the box after some clever passing from Armando Hernandez and Stephan Gonzales to fire in the game winner.

The Bulldogs are back in action this Saturday at 1:00 p.m. against John Brown at Bulldog Stadium.

Soccer falls 6-0

10 SEP 2005

On a day where the temperature pushed the 90 degree mark and winds gusted to upward of 20 mph the Bulldogs dropped a 6-0 decision to the Golden Eagles of John Brown University.

Concordia struggled to get quality shots on goal all afternoon. The majority of the contest was played on the Bulldogs' side of the field.

"We got outclassed by a very good soccer team," said Head Coach Art Busha. "They put tremendous pressure on the ball and we didn't respond well. By scoring early the put even more pressure on us."

Four different players scored the the Golden Eagles, who led 3-0 at the half and were runner-up in the Sooner Atheltic Conference a year ago.

Bulldog goalkeeper Tristan Illko, a freshman, registered seven saves on the game. Overall the Bulldogs were out shot 29-7 and didn't have a shot in the first half.

In a scary moment for the Bulldogs, Luke Busha went down after hitting heads with a JBU player as he attempted to head a ball. The game was stopped for nearly 25 minutes as he was attended to. He later received seven stitches and will be out for at least a week.

"We will put this behind us and get ready for the next game," Busha said. "We knew John Brown would be tough. But by playing tough competiton now it should benefit us as we get into GPAC play and push for the playoffs."

The Bulldogs will be back in action on Tuesday as they travel to Kansas to take on the University of St. Mary at 4:00 p.m.

St. Mary defeats Bulldogs in weather delayed game

13 SEP 2005

Concordia seemed to be on their way to a victory on Tuesday. But mother nature caused a delay and the Bulldogs gave up two goals after play resumed, falling 3-2 to the University of St. Mary (Kan.).

Abel Rodriguez put got the Bulldogs on the board quickly, scoring 3:55 into the contest on an unassisted goal. USM tied things up five minutes later as Alex Cocina scored on a corner kick. Micah Chaffee put the Bulldogs back on top with 12 minutes remaining in the first half, scoring his fourth goal of the season.

After a lightning was spotted in the area the game was delayed with 16 minutes left. At the time Concordia led 2-1. The teams were moved inside and it was almost an hour before play resumed. When it did, it was downhill for the Bulldogs as they allowed two goals in the final eight minutes of the game.

"It was a disappointing loss," said Head Coach Art Busha. "I felt we played a good game, but after the delay we just weren't the same."

The injury bug continues to plague the Bulldogs, as Theron Jenkins Jr. suffered a concussion in Tuesday's contest. Luke Busha and Tyler Barry were also out because of injury.

"You just can't plan for injuries," added Busha. "Right now we are kind of banged up."

The Bulldogs, now 3-3 overall, open GPAC play on Saturday against the University of Sioux Falls in South Dakota.

Soccer drops double overtime contest

17 SEP 2005

In a evenly matched game the Bulldogs came up short in double overtime against the University of Sioux Falls 2-1. The Bulldogs are now 3-4 on the season and 0-1 in the GPAC.

Neither team was able to score in the first half. Tristan Ilko had eight saves in the first half and ten overall. Just two minutes into the second frame of play Richard Schwartz put the Bulldogs on top with an unassisted goal. The Cougars tied things up ten minutes later and that is how it would stay until the second overtime.

"The guys played with tremendous heart," said Head Coach Art Busha. "Really, we played well enough to win."

Unfortunately for the Bulldogs the ball came free in front of the net in the second overtime and USF scored the game winner.

"I think the guys know that if we keep working hard things will go our way," added Busha.

Concordia was still without the services of Luke Busha who was injured in the York game. Up next for the Bulldogs is Doane College on Tuesday Sept. 20. at 7:30 p.m. in Crete, Neb.

Bulldogs edge Doane in overtime

20 SEP 2005

For the second straight game the Bulldogs needed some extra time to decide the outcome of their game. On Tuesday Concordia emerged victorious over Doane College 2-1 in overtime.

The Bulldogs trailed after the first half 1-0 as the Tigers found the back of the net 22 minutes into the game.

"It was a very evenly matched game," said Head Coach Art Busha. "The first half went their (Doane's) way. In the second half and overtime we attacked better and that led to our goals."

In the second half Richard Schwartz tied things up, scoring his second goal of the season in the 62nd minute. Abel Rodriguez and Micah Chaffee were credited with assists on the goal.

In overtime it was Rodriguez who got the game winner on a corner kick by Sean Busha.

"It was good to see they guys get the win," added Busha. "Especially after the last overtime game didn't go our way. They (Bulldog players) really deserved this one." Busha also noted the play of goalkeepr Tristan Illko.

"Tristan had three phenomenal saves that were key to our win," Busha said.

The win evens Concordia's record at 4-4 overal and 1-1 in the GPAC.

"We played a little more inspired today," said Busha. "It was a big, much needed win. If we can continue to finish, we will have success."

The opportunity for success next comes against Bellevue University on Thursday at 4:00 p.m. Bellevue is among teams "receiving votes" in the last NAIA Men's Soccer Ratings.

Bruins blank Bulldogs

22 SEP 2005

The Bulldogs lost to the 25th ranked Bellevue Bruins 2-0 on Thursday night.

Bulldogs defeat Mount Marty

24 SEP 2005

The Bulldogs picked up a GPAC win, defeating Mount Marty College 4-1 on Saturday night.

Sean Busha started things off quickly for the Bulldogs, scoring 61 seconds into the game. Micah Chaffee then found the back of the net on a penalty kick at the 15:34 mark to put Concordia up 2-0.

Abel Rodriquez got in on the scoring action as well, getting his fourth goal of the year in the 29th minute.

In the second half the Lancers broke up the shutout bid by the Bulldogs and goalkeeper Noah Enke, scoring at the 66:40 mark.

Armando Hernandez sealed the win for the Bulldogs scoring off a Busha corner kick with under 15 minutes remaining.

The Bulldogs will host Midland Lutheran on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m.

Men Ranked In NAIA Region III

The men's soccer team made their first appearance in the NAIA Region III rankings this week. The Bulldogs are fourth in the latest Region III ratings. Hastings College holds down the top spot. The complete ratings are listed below.

1. Hastings (GPAC)
2. Morningside (GPAC)
3. Dana (GPAC)
4. Concordia (GPAC)
5. Doane (GPAC)

Head Coach Art Busha and his squad are coming off a busy week during in which they picked up two Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC) wins over Doane and Mount Marty. They also dropped a 2-0 decision to No. 25 Bellevue University. Concordia is now 5-5 on the season and are fourth in the GPAC standings at 2-1.

Men drop physical contest with Midland

28 SEP 2005

Midland Lutheran defeated Concordia 1-0 in a very physical game on Tuesday night. Three different Bulldogs received yellow cards on the night.

The loss drops Concordia to 5-6 overall and 2-2 in the GPAC. Of the Bulldogs six losses, four have been by one goal.

In the Midland Lutheran game both teams struggled to find the back of the net. The Warriors broke a 0-0 tie 63:57 into the game. Nate Biermann scored what proved to be the game winner on a break away down the far side of the field, scooting the ball past Bulldog goalie Tristan Illko. Ilko had a solid performance, gathering seven saves on the night.

The game was very evenly matched as each team had eight shots on goal. In total shot attempts, Concordia topped Midland, 21-19. Justin O'Hayre picked up the shutout for the Warriors.

The men will travel to Sioux City, Iowa, on Saturday to battle with Briar Cliff University. Kick off is scheduled for 4:00 p.m.

Men get much needed win

1 OCT 2005

The Concordia men’s soccer team picked up a much needed win over the Briar Cliff Chargers 4-0 on Saturday. The Bulldogs are now 6-6 overall and 3-2 in the GPAC.

Micah Chaffee scored at 4:38 into the game putting the Bulldogs up 1-0. Chaffee found the back corner of the net for his sixth goal of the season.

Kyle Bray got into the scoring action for the first time this year. Scoring a ball that was deflected by a defender who blocked an Abel Rodriguez shot. Bray’s goal put the Bulldogs up 2-0. Neither team would score the rest of the first half.

The second half was very aggressive, as indicated by the three yellow and one red card that were handed out. Theron Jenkins received the red card, the first for any Concordia player this season. Jenkins had only been in the game a few minutes when he was tagged for the red card as a Charger player went down.

Having the lead allowed the Bulldogs to continue to attack the goal play solid defense.

“We played solid soccer today,” Head Coach Art Busha added. “The second half was a great opportunity to score and still play smart defense.”

Coach Busha praised Luke Busha for his defensive play.

“Luke did a great job not allowing Briar Cliff to get in good position,” said Busha. “His play really set the tone.”

Sean Busha widened Concordia’s lead, scoring his second goal of the season on a penalty kick at the 52:12 mark. Chaffee added his second goal of the night on a pass from Sean Busha. Chaffee weaved through four defenders and put it in the corner of the net to put the Bulldogs up 4-0

“Micah showed his capabilities,” remarked Busha. “He is an excellent offensive player.”

The Bulldogs travel to Hastings, Neb., on Tuesday to take on the Hastings College Broncos. The Broncos are 7-1-2 overall and 5-0 in the GPAC. Kick off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.

Dordt tops Bulldogs in close contest

8 OCT 2005

The Bulldogs dropped a 1-0 decision to Dordt College on Saturday night. Going into the game Head Coach Art Busha had a feeling that the game would be decided by one goal.

“I knew it would be a very evenly matched game,” Busha said. “I felt we played good enough to win the game. Unfortunately they came up with goal when they needed it and we didn’t.”

The game winner for Dordt came 63 minutes into the game as Ryan Coon put the ball by Tristan Ilko, Concordia’s goal keeper, on a break away. It was the only goal allowed by Ilko who had thirteen saves on the night. Ilko had some aerobatic saves in the first half, punching the ball over the cross bar on two occasions.

While the defense played well for the Bulldogs, it was the offense that struggled to find consistency. Concordia was out shot 25-17 and had only seven shots on goal.

“We had opportunities to tie or win the game but didn’t finish,” added Busha. “If we can start turning those opportunities into goals the close games will go our way.” Things don’t get an easier for Coach Busha’s squad as they regular season winds down, as they must face perennial GPAC powers Nebraska Wesleyan and Morningside.

Concordia is back in action on Wednesday Oct. 12 at 7:00 p.m., hosting Dana College at Bulldog Stadium.

Dana edges Bulldogs in double overtime

12 OCT 2005

For the second consecutive game the Bulldogs dropped a game by the score of 1-0. The Dana College Vikings squeaked out the win in double overtime on Wednesday night. It was the sixth game of the year for the Bulldogs that has been decided by one goal. In those games Concordia is 2-4.

After the loss the Bulldogs drop to 6-9 overall and 3-5 in the GPAC while Dana improved to 10-4 overall and 5-3 in the GPAC.

It was very intense and physical match-up, which was evident in the number of fouls in the game, 29 between the two teams.

The Vikings had their opportunities early in the game, having a pair of shots go off the post. Overall Dana out shot the Bulldogs 26-14. But, the Bulldogs had chances of their own at the end of regulation and in the first overtime and were unable to convert.

"I am really proud of our guys," stated Head Coach Art Busha. "They played with a lot of heart. It's tough to be on the short end of the short loss, but all I can ask is that we keep competing and our effort was great from start to finish."

Despite the great effort from Coach Busha's squad, Dana managed to score the game winner 1:47 into the second overtime.

Concordia returns to action this Saturday taking on Morningside in Sioux City, Iowa. With three games remaing the Bulldogs will need at least one win and some help from other teams to make the GPAC tournament. The top six teams in the GPAC earn tournament berths.

Overtime unkind to Bulldogs

15 OCT 2005

In their fifth overtime game of the season, second in a row, the Bulldogs came up short on Saturday falling to the Morningside Mustangs 2-1.

“I don’t like to say that we are “unlucky”," said Head Coach Art Busha. “But the bounces haven’t gone our in close games this year. It’s frustrating.”

The Bulldogs came out very strong in the first half. Concordia controlled throughout the first half with precise passing, something that had lacked in other Bulldog losses. Concordia had 13 shots, compared to only seven for Morningside, in the first half only to come up empty handed and tied at zero after the first half.

In the second half the Mustangs turned the tables on the Bulldogs, out shooting them 12-6. The first half pace that helped Concordia control the ball seemed to be slower in the second frame.

Jake Green scored the first goal of the game, and put the Mustangs on top with a penalty kick at 46:50. The Bulldogs tied things up at the 78:35 mark as Richard Schwartz found the back of the net on a crossing pass from Armando Hernandez. Schwartz's goal proved to be the last goal scored in regulation for either team. In the overtime period the Mustangs wasted little time, scoring the winning goal at the 92:46 mark.

Concordia’s goalie, Tristan Ilko, had another solid game, notching nine saves and prevented the Mustangs from scoring on many breakaways chances that they had.

“I would commend Tristan for his superb job in goal,” added Busha. “He continues to do his part to keep the scores down.”

Concordia falls to 6-10-0 oveall (3-6 GPAC) on the season while Morningside improved to 8-7-0 overall (7-2-0 GPAC).

“I am proud of the players and of their determination and heart to keep playing well enough to win, but seemly not get the ball often enough through the net,” stated Busha. “We have now five overtime games this season and it is frustrating to play really well defensively and to come away empty-handed.”

The Bulldogs will compete in Lincoln, on Tuesday at 8:00 p.m., against Nebraska Wesleyan.

Prairie Wolves prevail over Bulldogs

18 OCT 2005

For 82 minutes the Bulldogs played even soccer with Nebraska Wesleyan. But the Prairie Wolves broke the scoreless tie and went on to defeat Concordia, 2-0, Tuesday night at Abel Stadium in Lincoln, Neb.

"We have been that "hard-luck" team all season long," said Head Coach Art Busha. "It was that same type of feeling tonight. We played well, but just couldn't pull out a win. Again, the effort was great."

With 14 shots, eight of them on goal, the Bulldogs had scoring opportunities but couldn't find the back of the net. The game got somewhat rough in the second half, as five yellow cards and a red card were handed out. Concordia was responsible for only one yellow card.

Nebraska Wesleyan forward Brandon Lyons scored what proved to be the game winner as he came up with a ball deflected by teammate Mitch Memming and hit a shot inside the box at 82:43. The scoring continued for NWU as less than two minutes later, Lyons returned the favor and delivered a pass to Memming who scored at 84:27.

The Bulldogs fell to 6-11 overall (3-7 GPAC), while NWU improved to 7-5-1 overall (6-3-1 GPAC).

Concordia closes out their season at home against Northwestern on Saturday. Kick off is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. It will be the Bulldogs final game of the season as they are mathematically eliminated from the GPAC playoffs.

Bulldogs close out season

22 OCT 2005

Concordia men's soccer struggled to find an offensive consistency on Saturday night against Northwestern falling 4-1. It was the final game of the 2005 campaign for the Bulldogs who finish the year 6-12-0 overall (3-8 GPAC). During the season Concordia lost seven games by one goal.

"I can't say enough about the effort from the guys every time out," said head coach Art Busha. "To lose so many one-goal and overtime games was frustrating. But we have a lot of young guys returning and we will build on our experiences for next year."

Abel Rodriguez scored the lone goal for the Bulldogs Saturday night on a header in the first half on an assist from Joe Yakobe. The goal, which tied the game at one, was the fifth goal of the season for the freshman Rodriguez.

Northwestern's Brett Wieking scored the first of his two goals in the 32nd minute to put the Red Raiders on top 2-1. That is where the score would stay until late in the second half when NWC pulled away, scoring two goals within two and a half minutes to put the match out of reach.