SEWARD, Neb. – Mario Ybarra has added a third NAIA Scholar All-American award to his collegiate wrestling résumé. Ybarra landed on the list of Scholar All-Americans released on Monday (April 25) by the National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA). Also a three-time NAIA national qualifier, Ybarra is set to graduate at the conclusion of this semester with his degree in Physics.
In order for a student-athlete to be nominated as a Scholar All-American, a wrestler must be a national qualifier with a minimum of a 3.25 grade-point average or an All-American with a GPA of at least 3.0.
As a senior in 2021-22, Ybarra went 14-5 overall, placed second in the GPAC at 133 pounds and was named Second Team All-GPAC. A native of Scottsbluff, Neb., Ybarra won the 2020 GPAC title at 125 pounds and finished his career with 76 victories, fourth most in the history of Concordia University Wrestling.
Ybarra career accolades
· 2021 NAIA All-American (7th place at 133)
· Three-time NAIA National Qualifier
· 2020 GPAC Champion (125)
· Four-time All-GPAC Honoree (first team once, second team twice, HM once)
· Three-time NWCA Scholar All-American
· 2021 CoSIDA Academic All-District
· 76 career wins (fourth most in program history)