Wake up and come celebrate literacy with us! Breakfast and Books is aimed toward teachers, librarians and book lovers and will consist of book sales, breakfast and keynote addresses. Esteemed author/illustrators Stephen T. Johnson and Mark Teague are joining us for our fourth annual Plum Creek Children's Literacy Festival Breakfast and Books program!
Begin the morning by shopping for books by Stephen and Mark; then enjoy a delicious breakfast, followed by engaging and dynamic keynotes; and round out the day with a few special giveaways and time for autographing.
Thursday, July 23, 2020 - Concordia University, Nebraska's Janzow Campus Center
Book Sales Open 8 a.m.
Doors Open for Breakfast 8:30 a.m.
Welcome and Introduction of Keynotes 9:15 a.m.
Stephen T. Johnson Keynote 9:30-10:30 a.m.
"Subject, Transformation, and Joy!"
Break and Giveaways 10:30-10:45 a.m.
Mark Teague Keynote 10:45-11:45 a.m.
“The Art of Wasting Time, Or How I Doodled My Way to Success”
Book Sales/Signing 12-12:45 p.m.
As an event on Concordia’s campus, the following requirements have been enabled to maximize the health and safety of all guests, authors and staff:
- Face coverings must be worn at all times when physical distancing can not occur. Please bring your own face covering.
- Before coming onto Concordia’s campus, please follow these instructions for self-screening.
- The event space will have appropriate physical distancing setup in the seating arrangement and activities. As such, there will not be individual photo opportunities with the authors.
- Please do not bring books in from outside (home/library). We ask that you purchase all books at the event. If you already own books by these creators, we will have the option for you to take home a few signed and personalized bookplates if you wish as long as you purchase books at the event.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be available throughout the event space.
Meet The Speakers
Stephen T. Johnson
Stephen T. Johnson’s visually arresting and conceptually rich body of work forges connections between words, objects and ideas. His art spans a broad range of concepts and contexts and can be seen in site-specific public art commissions, gallery and museum exhibitions, and original award-winning children’s books such “Alphabet City,” a Caldecott Honor and a New York Times Best Illustrated book of the year.
Mark Teague is an award-winning author and illustrator whose books include Fly!, Felipe and Claudette, Jack and the Beanstalk and the French Fries, The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf and Dear Mrs LaRue. He is also the illustrator of the bestselling How Do Dinosaurs. . . ? series written by Jane Yolen. Mark lives in upstate New York with his family and pets.