B.S. Data Analytics
In an increasingly data-driven world, everyone should be able to understand the numbers that govern our lives. Whether or not you want to work as a data analyst, being “data literate” can help you excel in your future career field. The data analytics program at Concordia University, Nebraska can help you explore key principles and techniques of data science, such as quantitative critical thinking and algorithms for machine learning methods. You can also discover different ways in which data analytics is deployed in fields such as healthcare, marketing, political science and criminal justice.
Concordia Nebraska’s data analytics program is a concentration within the mathematics major which will equip you with strong technical skills, able to solve challenging problems through a data-driven lens. After graduation, you will be prepared for further education or to pursue a career as a data scientist or data analyst, or, if you prefer, to apply an analytical lens to the career field of your choice, wherever your passions lie.
With the Lutheran, Christian community that Concordia’s classes offer, you’ll learn to apply the science of data and analytics not only to real-world applications, but also incorporate your faith into every aspect of your time on campus. Throughout your data analytics program, you’ll be exposed to topics showcasing the applicability of data science to everyday life, to deepen and encourage your understanding of the material. Concordia’s program also focuses on your future vocations, so you can see how what you learn in class applies to various fields, and how you can apply that when applying for data careers in your chosen industry.
The data analytics program at Concordia University, Nebraska helps develop students as analytical thinkers, who understand qualitative and quantitative data and who can use their God-given talents to become leaders in their field.
The data analytics program at Concordia University, Nebraska allows you to be part of a program that has a commitment to excellence and engaged faculty that equip you and your fellow students to go through life-changing experiences together on paths to a positive future.
Discover what makes the Concordia Nebraska data analytics program different
Concordia NebraskaData Analytics: Learning Objectives
Students in the data analytics program at Concordia University, Nebraska will be able to evaluate and apply fundamental statistical concepts in the context of a broad range of data problems, including Bayes Theorem, common statistical tests and biases, inference and causal inference and hypothesis testing.
Students will be able to perform in-depth exploratory data analysis to form hypotheses and use visualization techniques to communicate insights.
Students will be able to design experiments to answer causal questions and evaluate the results of the experiments.
Students will be able to apply and evaluate machine learning algorithms in a business problem context, with an emphasis on selecting predictive modeling when appropriate.
Students will be able to perform feature engineering and data preprocessing to improve the accuracy and efficacy of predictive data models.
Concordia NebraskaData Analytics: Program Goals
Students in the data analytics program at Concordia University, Nebraska will develop comprehensive skills in data analysis, quantitative critical thinking and experimental design.
Students will learn to use industry-standard tools for data analytics (Python, Pandas, Jupyter Notebooks) to perform and present simple data analysis.
Students will understand how to design a range of data-driven experiments and effectively collect, sample, clean and analyze data sets.
Students will learn to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing.
Data Analytics Faculty
Concordia’s data analytics faculty and instructors are experts in their fields and bring years of experience to the classroom.Meet the faculty
Concordia NebraskaData Analytics: FAQs
- Organizations from all industries use data and insights to improve the decisions they make. Things like clinical studies in medicine, social media metrics in marketing or production yield studies in agriculture are all examples of the types of data that companies need analyzed to be as successful as possible.
- Data sets may be used to look at historical trends to figure out what has happened in the past and identify anomalies or unexpected changes in the data. Data analysts then use the data to predict future trends and help their company make informed decisions.
- A survey of recent job postings for business data analytics and data science found similarities between data analytics jobs and data science jobs but also key differences. The most frequent terms on business data analytics job postings are SQL, tools and reports. While the most frequent terms on data science job postings are machine learning, analytical and python.
- Data analysts are concerned with gathering and leveraging data to help with decision making. Data analysts explore large data sets to find insights and generate reports for the data to be used.
- Data scientists also are concerned with gathering and leveraging data, but instead focus on developing machine learning models that employ data. Data scientists spend more time building artificial intelligence systems with advanced programming and statistical techniques.
- The data analytics program at Concordia University, Nebraska can help prepare you for a career in either data science or data analytics, depending on where your passions lie.
- To be a successful data analyst, you will need to know how to use statistical techniques, have a head for numbers and apply your math skills to find clues and solve mysteries. You’ll also need communication skills, problem solving skills and curiosity. As a data analyst, you will need to develop an affinity for coding and learn several programming languages.
Concordia Nebraska Data Analytics: Career Outcomes
Data analysts identify problems for their organization, collect and organize information and analyze the data to explain their findings and suggest solutions based on their research. Data analysts typically work in business, healthcare, logistics or related fields.
Data scientists are responsible for overseeing the collection and interpretation of data for organizations. As a data scientist, you might be in charge of sifting through data points to create organized categories, comparing data points to current company processes and writing reports outlining business predictions and solutions.
Concordia NebraskaData Analytics: Related Programs
A bachelor of science degree in marketing from Concordia University, Nebraska will acquaint you with major marketing concepts and practices. You will develop the skills you need to effectively position your company as an industry leader and efficiently reach target audiences.
Studying mathematics can help you develop basic skills such as arguing logically and rigorously, thinking abstractly, formulating and solving problems, analyzing data, and creating and analyzing mathematical models. As a math major, you will find yourself in demand by employers for careers in a wide spectrum of fields.
Concordia University, Nebraska’s computer science program is designed to help you meet current and future challenges in technology- and application-related fields. Here, you can gain a strong fundamental foundation with an emphasis on practical functions of theoretical concepts.
1 Recent graduates attending graduate school or employed within six months of graduation.
2 Career salary and wages sourced from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.