Common Questions and Academic Issues

Common Questions

Where do I find the academic calendar and finals schedule?

The academic calendar is printed within the course catalog and is also available online.

I'd like to pick out my courses. Where is the course catalog?

The full, printable version of the course catalog is available online. It is also possible to search the course schedule within Banner .

What's the difference between a freshman advisor and a faculty advisor?

A freshman advisor works full-time to give academic guidance to freshman students.  A faculty advisor teaches here at Concordia in addition to advising students.

Concordia students transition from a freshman advisor to a faculty advisor once they are in the process of formally declaring a major at the end of their freshman year.

Transfer students are assigned to a faculty advisor within their corresponding academic department upon entering Concordia.

What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, or FERPA, was designed to provide students with greater access to and control over information contained in their educational records. FERPA prohibits the release of information (other than directory information) without express written consent from the student.

I hear about general education requirement and general studies. What's the difference?

General education courses are the backbone of a liberal arts or sciences education. They include courses in a variety of areas: English, math, science, history, social sciences, general studies, theology, fine art, and health and human performance. General studies courses, or "GS coursework," cover topics aimed to help all students consider the connections between decisions and actions now, to vocational life in the future, and then ultimately life as part of church and community. These required courses are part of the general education curriculum.

Can I get credit towards my degree at Concordia by transferring credits from other schools?

It's possible, but it's important to review coursework prior to enrolling at another institution with registrar's office of Concordia.

See also: A glossary of academic advising terms


Academic Standards

While Concordia desires to give all students the opportunity to prove themselves, it is not in the best interest of either the students or the university to permit students to continue indefinitely in an educational program in which they are not making satisfactory progress. The standards listed below are part of Concordia’s academic policy:

Scholastic warning: A student receives a scholastic warning if his/her grade point average is below 2.00 (C) for a given semester.

Academic probation: A student is placed on academic probation when his/her cumulative grade point average is below 2.00 (C).

Students placed on academic probation are required to meet the conditions set forth by the provost. These conditions may include restriction on the number of registered hours and meeting with academic support services.

Academic dismissal: A student must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 (C) each semester after s/he has been placed on academic probation to maintain good standing. If a student fails to reach the 2.00 (C) after one semester, s/he may be subject to academic dismissal by the provost.

Readmission to Concordia is subject to provisions set forth by the provost including submission of a letter to reapply demonstrating that the reason(s) for your current academic difficulties have been addressed. The student must be able to transfer 18 semester credit hours from an accredited two or four-year institution.

Conditionally admitted (sponsored) students: Students who are admitted to the university as a conditional admit are considered to be on academic probation upon admittance to the university. If a conditionally admitted student’s first semester grade point average is below 2.00 (C) they may be subject to academic dismissal by the provost. If the conditionally admitted student attained a 2.0 or better G.P.A. in their first semester their status will be the same as if they were normally admitted.

Financial aid implications for academic progress

To qualify and maintain eligibility in all financial aid programs provided by the university, the student must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as defined by federal regulations administered by the U.S. Department of Education. For a copy of Concordia’s official Satisfactory Academic Progress policy, please contact Student Financial Services.

Class Standing Policy

Student Class Standing (Year in college)

I. Students are classified by the cumulative number of semester credit hours they have earned as recorded in the student’s official records. The cumulative number of hours will include all institutional credit earned at Concordia University, Nebraska and all transfer credit which has been presented by the student and accepted by the Registrar. Acceptance of transfer credit is indicated by the credit being recorded in the student’s record as maintained by the institution.

II. Students are classified as follows:

  1. Freshmen – less than 28 hours earned
  2. Sophomores – at least 28 hours but less than 58 hours earned
  3. Juniors – at least 58 hours but less than 90 hours earned
  4. Seniors – at least 90 hours earned.

III. These classifications will apply for institutional and federal financial aid as well as in any academic uses which may exist in the various catalogs and publications regarding undergraduate study.