This program is designed to satisfy the needs of those who wish to serve and be certified as school principals. The sequence prescribed fulfills the educational requirement for certification in Nebraska as an elementary or secondary principal. Additional requirements that must be met prior to certification in the State of Nebraska can be found on the Nebraska Department of Education Teacher Certification website.
Candidates seeking certification in states other than Nebraska should check with the Department of Education in the state in which they plan to obtain certification in order to determine specific certification requirements of that state.
Graduate students who complete an emphasis in elementary or secondary administration will be able to demonstrate:
- A more complete understanding of the school curriculum
- Advanced understanding of the principles and techniques of school organization, management and leadership;
- Advanced understanding of the duties and responsibilities of supervising instruction;
- Functional familiarity with various processes of educational administration, including political and fiscal management;
- Understanding, appreciation and performance of the ethics of administering educational systems;
- Competence and understanding in utilizing school law; and
- Competence in performance as a school administrator, through effective communication, proficient use of group process, appropriate evaluation and staff development.
Core Requirements (12 hours)
- EDUC 501 Contemporary Thought in Education (3)
- PSY 511 Psychological Foundations of Teaching and Learning (3)
- SOC/THEO 565 Serving and Leading in Community and World (3)
- EDUC 594 Research Evaluation and Design (3)
Administration Requirements (24 hours)
- EDUC 551 Curriculum Design (3)
- EDUC 552 Processes in Elementary and Secondary School Administration (3)
- EDUC 553 Administration of School Relations and Finance (3)
- EDUC 554 Supervision of Elem and Sec School Instruction (3)
- EDUC 557 School Law (3)
- EDUC 581a/b Practicum in Elementary and/or Secondary School Administration and Supervision, pt. 1 (3)
- EDUC 582a/b Practicum in Elementary and/or Secondary School Administration and Supervision, pt. 2 (3)
- EDUC 595 Research Design (3)
Certification Endorsement Requirements
In the State of Nebraska, an endorsement shall require 36 or 45 graduate semester hours of credit in an approved program in educational administration. Thirty-six graduate semester hours are required if the principal endorsement and teaching experience are at the same level as the teaching endorsement. Those seeking a principal endorsement at a level different from their teaching endorsement and/or experience must complete a minimum of nine additional semester hours. The additional nine hours must address the level (elementary or secondary) that is being added and be approved by the program director/Dean. Practicum hours in EDUC 581 & EDUC 582 must be split between the elementary and secondary levels with a minimum of 125 hours completed at each level. When a student’s teaching experience has been at the middle school level, a specified number of practicum hours may be required at either the elementary or secondary levels. Dual certification may be sought at both elementary and secondary levels by meeting the requirements of both levels. Course requirements for an endorsement without a Master’s degree are the same as for a Master’s degree. However, instead of EDUC 595, students may take a graduate level, grade appropriate course in Education, Psychology, or related subject area as approved by the program director/Dean.