Edmund R. Martens
Associate Professor Emeritus of Music
Office: Music Center 117
Office phone: 402-643-7282
Edmund R. Martens, a native of Buhl, Idaho, studied organ with Theodore G. Stelzer and Paul Rosel at Concordia and with Irene Robertson at the University of Southern California. His choral studies were with Charles Hirt and Paul Christiansen. From 1949 to 1951 he taught at Immanuel Lutheran School in Columbus, Nebraska, where he also served as principal, organist, and choir director. He subsequently taught elementary grades at St. John’s Lutheran Church, Orange, California, and also served as minister of music of that large congregation. He came to Concordia in 1966, and in 1976 was appointed director of the A Cappella Choir, serving in that capacity for twenty-two years. Highlights of those years were eight tours to Europe, with many concerts in Germany and Austria, especially in churches of the Selbständige Evangelisch-Lutherische Kirche, the Missouri Synod’s sister church body in Germany.
Martens studied Kodály techniques at Kecskemet, Hungary and holds the Orff-Schulwerk Certification, Level III, from DePaul University. His publications include music for handbell choirs and Orff arrangements for children. He retired from full-time teaching in 1993. He and his wife Ruth (née Schnackenberg) reside in Lincoln, where they work as volunteers teaching English to area immigrants. They have five children and ten grandchildren.
M.Mus., University of Southern California
B.S., Concordia Teachers College, Seward, Nebraska