Concordia held a speech and theatre workshop Sept. 12, 2015, to help high school students develop their skills in both areas.
“We focused on both lecture and practical components, with the students driving much of the content,” said Andrew Moffitt, director of forensics at Concordia. “The high school students got a valuable chance to work on events outside the normal classroom environment, along with additional coaching and mentoring resources.”
During the workshop, students were able to develop new skills and further their current skills by participating in activities such as improvisation, characterization, vocal and physical techniques, lecture-based lessons and discussions about strategies for upcoming theatre and speech events.
Concordia students involved in speech and theatre assisted with this event by participating in various activities with the high school students.
Moffitt and Concordia’s Associate Professor of Communication and Theatre Arts Bryan Moore oversaw the event.
Concordia students who participated in the event include:
- Ben Leeper, junior, Thornton, Colo., theatre
- Anne Jesgarz, freshman, Shelbyville, Ill., theatre
- Rebekah Rusert, freshman, Truman, Minn., theatre
- Cadence Klemp, sophomore, Winona, Minn., theatre
- Andrew Crist, junior, Springfield, Mo., theatre
- Sean Carpenter, senior, Hollis, N.H., speech
- Marol Feickert, sophomore, Lawrenceville, N.J., theatre and speech
- Ann Spilker, sophomore, Ashland, Neb., speech
- Soren Doll, freshman, Creighton, Neb., speech
- Hannah Sugita, freshman, Grand Island, Neb., speech
- Ethan Kesar, senior, Omaha, Neb., theatre
- Abigail Schroeder, freshman, Schuyler, Neb., theatre
- Jordan Schut, junior, Scribner, Neb., speech
- Musa Fofana, freshman, Seward, Neb., speech
- Kristin Jindra, junior, Seward, Neb., speech
- Emily Kollbaum, junior, Seward, Neb., theatre and speech
- Melonie Kotschwar, senior, Seward, Neb., speech
- Paul Nelson, junior, Norfolk, Neb., theatre
- Timothy Curtis, freshman, Clarksville, Tenn., speech
- Taylor Rankel, sophomore, Spring, Texas, theatre
- Abigail Wisniewski, freshman, Withee, Wis., speech