Concordia’s music and art departments will collaborate for a recital as part of the 500th Reformation Anniversary Celebration at 3 p.m. on Feb. 19 in the Music Center Recital Hall on Concordia’s campus. The event is free and open to the public.
During the recital, there will be a variety of student musicians performing including: voice, brass, piano and organ. The music will be sacred in nature.
While the music is being performed, art major, Allise Loomis, will be creating four large oil pastels with her back to the audience so they can watch the art being created. Her works will be non-figurative in nature and will be inspired by the music she is hearing. Color, line, shape, contrast, movement and rhythm will be among the elements and principles of art incorporated to bring the music to visuals.
“We are very excited about the music and art collaboration as this will be the first time we’ve done something like this,” said Dr. Elizabeth Grimpo, associate professor of music. “Music can be an inspiration for other art forms and often serves as an external stimulus to bring up new ideas. We are eager to put the music and art together to create a much broader experience.”
The list of Concordia students participating in the recital includes (listed by state, then alphabetically by city and last name):
- Miriam Lipke, freshman, Alamosa, Colo.
- Allise Loomis, junior, Centennial, Colo.
- Meredith Locke, junior, Winter Haven, Fla.
- Jacob Henson, senior, Herrin, Ill.
- Jacob Roggow, sophomore, Moro, Ill.
- Jonathan Grant, sophomore, Waterloo, Ill.
- Cole Wohlgemuth, junior, Alton, Iowa
- Matthew Gerhold, sophomore, Atkins, Iowa
- Ruth Alliger, freshman, Marshalltown, Iowa
- Josiah Schultz, sophomore, Bay City, Mich.
- Laura Hedstrom, senior, Lakefield, Minn.
- Vanessa Marsh, sophomore, Concordia, Mo.
- Emma Gottschamer, junior, Lees Summit, Mo.
- Karl Rovey, senior, Springfield, Mo.
- Caleb Staehr, sophomore, Grand Island, Neb.
- Lauren Staehr, senior, Grand Island, Neb.
- Britnee Fear, sophomore, Hershey, Neb.
- Clara Rich, senior, Lincoln, Neb.
- Micah Most, sophomore, Ogallala, Neb.
- Lydia Jeppesen, sophomore, Pleasant Dale, Neb.
- Ryan Gross, senior, Seward, Neb.
- Ben Hayter, senior, Seward, Neb.
- Joel Ristvedt, junior, Utica, Neb.
- Grace Woelmer, senior, Allen, Texas
- Corrianne Cain, freshman, Cedarburg, Wis.