Alumni of Concordia University, Nebraska, will be welcomed back to campus Sept. 22-24 for special events during the 2017 Homecoming and Alumni Reunion Weekend.
“Concordia is looking forward to welcoming back our alumni for a wonderful weekend of reunions, games and other events,” said Jennifer Furr, director of alumni and university relations. “We thank God for the opportunity to have alumni and their families reconnect with one another and rediscover all their favorite Concordia memories.”
Dedication of the new Center for Liturgical Art will be held at 3:45 p.m., Friday. The new facility is being built at 540 North Columbia Avenue in Seward, where the former Marxhausen family home stood. It is also the site of Reinhold Marxhausen’s studio, where the art professor completed his two mosaic murals for the Nebraska State Capitol.
A free homecoming fair with games and other activities will take place Saturday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at The C.G. “Kelly” and Virginia Holthus Family Plaza.
A pre-game tailgate meal for Homecoming attendees and the public will be held starting at 11:30 a.m. on The C.G. “Kelly” and Virginia Holthus Family Plaza and Brommer Drive. Tickets may be purchased in advance or at the door. Concordia’s football game versus Doane University kicks off at 1 p.m. in Bulldog Stadium.
Concordia will honor several selected alumni and friends of the university who have demonstrated excellent service in the church and the world. Honorees include:
- Alumnus of the Year: Rev. John Barton Day, ‘92
- Young Alumni of the Year: Brandon McWilliams, ’13 and Preston Harris, ‘14
- Servant Leadership Award: Dr. Micah Parker, ‘91
- Lifetime Service Award – Prof. Edmund Martens
- Family Heritage Award – Robbins Family
- Lifelong Learner Award – Bud Olsson, ’12.
- Honorary Bulldog Spirit Award - Rev. Kenneth and Marlene Block
Concordia will also induct several former Bulldog athletes into the Concordia Athletic Hall of Fame:
- Stephanie (Beberniss) Tietjen, ‘04, Track and Field
- Eunice Goldgrabe, 1967-2011, Pioneer in Women’s Athletics
- Jason Jisa, ’05, Men’s Basketball
- Martin Strohschein, 02, Men’s Golf
- 2001-02, Men’s Golf
Visitors to campus are welcome to explore campus buildings; visit with faculty, staff and students; enjoy meals; attend event receptions and cheer on the Bulldogs at athletic events.
Please visit cune.edu/homecoming for schedule, ticket and registration information.