Terms to know

Glossary of academic advising terms

Formal process of leaving Concordia prior to completion of degree.

Advisors, academic
  • First-year advisor: A full-time advisor who provides academic guidance for incoming students, currently enrolled degree-seeking students, refers students to appropriate campus services and resources, helps plan semester schedules, completes major declarations, goal sheets, and change of advisor paperwork.
  • Faculty advisor: A faculty member who advises students who are in the process of formally declaring a major at the end of their first-year year. Students are given the opportunity to choose a faculty advisor from the corresponding academic department. This advisor helps create a plan to graduation, discusses co-curricular experiences, and discusses possible graduate/professional school. Transfer students are assigned to a faculty advisor within their corresponding academic department upon entering Concordia.

Banner, sometimes referred to as Banner self-service, is Concordia's computerized system of records by which a student may access semester grades, degree progress, course registration, financial aid information, etc.

Building names at Concordia
See also the campus map.

  • Annex - Indoor athletic facilities
  • Brommer (BROM) - Art center
  • HHP (200FAC) - Health and human performance
  • Founders Hall (FOUNDR) - Mathematics
  • Janzow Campus Center (JCC) - Chartwells Dining Hall, student life office, campus mailroom, Concordia Bookstore, game  room
  • Jesse Hall (JESSE) - Business, Marxhausen Art Gallery, faculty offices 
  • Link Library (LINK) - Library resources, academic resource center, technology resources center 
  • Music Center (MUSIC) - Music, music faculty offices 
  • Physical Education Building (PE) - Athletic department, physical education, HHP faculty offices 
  • Science Hall (SCI) - Science, computing center, science faculty offices 
  • Thom Leadership Education Center (TLEC) - Education, education faculty offices 
  • Weller Hall (WELLER) - Administrative offices, chapel 

Blackboard (formerly WebCT) is Concordia's web-based course management system.

Catalog, course 
A Web publication that contains general information about faculty, admissions, financial aid, student life activities, policies and procedures, course descriptions, degree requirements, etc.

Census date
A specific date each semester established by the registrar. After this date, a student can no longer make changes to their schedule (add/drop) without financial penalty.

The head of an academic department.

The term is typically used in two different contexts: to describe academic majors in general and also to describe certain course requirements for certification within bachelor of science in education programs.  

When describing academic majors in general,  it means a program of study organized around a particular theme within the major. Courses used to satisfy the requirements of one concentration may not be applied toward a second. Students must formally declare the concentration area with the individual department in the registrar's office in order to have the transcript reflect credit for work done in that concentration.

See "Education declaration terms" below for a description of the term's use within Concordia's teacher education programs.

Credit hours
A unit of credit earned for taking a course for a period of time, usually a semester. Courses may carry from .5 credits to 6 full credits. (One exception is Ed361: a 6-hour course and student teaching is generally 10 hours.)

One semester hour is normally equivalent to one 50-minute period of class recitation or lecture per week for 15 weeks. Two hours of study time should be reserved for each class meeting.

  • Attempted: Credit hours tallied for all enrolled classes beginning the first day of the semester and including those added during Drop/Add week; attempted hours may exceed earned hours.
  • Earned: Credit hours accumulated for all coursework at Concordia University, Nebraska as well as approved transfer credit hours; excludes course credit hours for which a grade of 'F' or "W" was received.
A college administrator who heads a specific college within the university, overseeing degree programs and dealing with issues related to academic policy for his/her specific college. Concordia is organized into three colleges: the College of Liberal Arts, the College of Education, and the College of Graduate Studies. 

Degree evaluation
A specific accounting of remaining degree requirements as well as requirements completed and in progress for the student's program of study. Reflects courses completed and in progress as they apply to institutional, general education, and major/minor requirements.

Director of Christian education (DCE)
An LCMS certification program designed to equip students for various ministries in the church related to youth, outreach, music, family life, child and adult programs.

The process for dropping or adding classes within a specified period of time after initial enrollment. Students must be aware of the deadline for exercising the drop/add option (census date). Dropping a course may change student status from full-time to part-time student. If a student receives financial aid he/she should check with the student financial services office for possible effects on financial aid eligibility.

Education declaration terms
  • Concentration:  The subject chosen by an elementary education candidate as part of the elementary program. This is not an endorsement and is not recorded on the candidate's state teaching certificate.
  • Cognate area: One of three specialty areas within the secondary education social sciences field endorsement in which a student completes the required coursework.
  • Content area: A specialty area within the middle level education program selected by the student to meet Concordia degree and state teacher certification requirements. Two content areas are required.
  • Endorsement: A specialty or subject area within the elementary and secondary education program selected by the student to meet Concordia degree and state certification requirements.
  • Field: A larger content area of study that includes multiple subjects within the same general area of study (i.e. social sciences, language arts). These are available for secondary education candidates. One field area can be chosen to meet university program and state certification requirements.
  • Subject: A specific content area of study chosen by the candidate. Concordia requires that if a candidate chooses to pursue a subject endorsement they must choose two subject areas to meet the university requirements.

A course you may choose to take because of your academic interest but which will not count toward the general education requirements or your major or minor field. A limited number of electives maybe needed to meet general degree requirements. Your first-year or faculty advisor can help you in selecting elective courses.

E-mail communication
Students are required to use their issued cune.org address. A student's cune.org address is one of the official means for university communication.

A specialty area within the biology and communication majors as well as the DCE program, which the student completes coursework designed for a specific career or field of study.

Federal law (the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974) designed to provide students with greater access to and control over information contained in their educational records. This document prohibits the release of information (other than directory information) without express written consent from the student.

Financial aid
Federal, state, college, and private programs which help students pay for college costs. Financial aid can be in the form of grants, scholarships, loans, or work-study programs.

General education requirements
Courses including English, math, science, history, social sciences, general studies, theology, fine art, and health and human performance which all students are required to compete for graduation.  General education courses are the backbone of a liberal arts or sciences education.

General studies
General studies courses, or "GS coursework," cover topics aimed to help all students consider the connections between decisions and actions now, to vocational life in the future, and then ultimately life as part of church and community. These required courses are part of the general education curriculum.

Grade point average (GPA)
The average of your class grades, based on a 4.0 scale.

  • Cumulative: Grade point average that includes all coursework grades the student has completed at the university.
  • Major: Grade point average that includes coursework grades for specified courses within the student's declared major.
  • Semester: Grade point average that includes only the coursework grades the student has completed for a specific semester at the university.

During an academic "hold," students are denied access to their academic account for purposes of registration for future classes or adjustment of current classes until specific requirements are met. Requirements may include necessary document submission (e.g. transcripts from other institutions), financial commitments to the university, etc. Once the requirement has been completed, the student's account will be released.

An internship/practicum experience is a monitored work or service experience that gives a student an opportunity to set intentional goals and reflect actively on what he or she is learning throughout the experience.

An internship is not part of an academic course, but is the academic course. At this time, no tuition is charged for this work experience. An exception to this is the DCE internship. Tuition is charged for the DCE internship. Please see the course catalog for more information.

Student identification number.

Lutheran Teacher's Diploma (LTD)
Certification enabling education students to be listed on the roster of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod when teaching in LCMS sponsored schools. Specific courses are outlined in the catalog to obtain this diploma.

A student's concentrated field of study in which he/she earns a degree.

A student's secondary field of study outside the major discipline; a minimum number of credit hours selected from a formally designated group are required. The student must formally declare the minor with the individual department in order to have the transcript reflect credit for work done in that minor.

Major declaration
Officially entering a college major or area of study by completing the necessary paperwork.

Pass/No Record (P/NR)
Grading option for courses taken for elective credit only. Neither the P nor NR is factored into the student's GPA.

PIN numbers

  • Alt PIN: Semester sensitive password provided by student's advisor for access to course registration in Banner.
  • Primary PIN: Password for Banner Self-Service access provided by the computing services office.

An internship/practicum experience is a monitored work or service experience that gives a student an opportunity to set intentional goals and reflect actively on what he or she is learning throughout the experience. Practicum experiences are tied to part of an academic course, and tuition is charged for the coursework.

A course which must be completed before a student is allowed to register for a more advanced course. Prerequisites can be found in the course descriptions in the catalog.

The university's chief academic officer who is responsible for faculty and academic affairs.

Registrar's office
Directs registration, maintains student transcripts, and performs other duties as assigned. Provides official student transcripts when requested by student; evaluates coursework taken by degree seeking students at another institution for transfer credit to Concordia University, Nebraska.

Servant leadership
"Grasped by grace and a vision of God's mission, a servant leader is called to utilize one's talents in leading, serving, and inspiring others to utilize their gifts in responding to the challenges of the environment and fostering the growth of individuals and institutions." ~ Dr. Marvin Bergman, professor emeritus at Concordia.

Student ID
Photo identification card administered to each student for access to buildings and campus events. Identifies the name of a student enrolled at Concordia University.

Study abroad
Programs where students can attend school for some time in another country while making regular progress toward their degrees. Study abroad can often be done at no additional cost to the student except for air-fare and personal expenses. Ask your academic advisor about these opportunities.

A document that lists course objectives and requirements along with subjects of lectures, reading assignments, due dates, and an exam schedule. Each instructor distributes a syllabus at the beginning of the semester.

The permanent academic record of a student at the university. It shows courses taken, grades received, academic status and honors received.

Transfer credit
Courses taken by degree seeking Concordia University, Nebraska students at other colleges and universities for transfer credit back to Concordia University, Nebraska. Students should review coursework prior to enrolling at another institution with registrar's office of Concordia.

A term used to describe the state of not yet having chosen a major field of study; the opposite of having declared a major.

The process for dropping one or more classes a student is registered for after census date. Students need to fill out a withdrawal form and get official signatures. Simply not attending class does not officially withdraw a student from class. Withdrawing from a course may affect financial aid, Veteran's Administration benefits and athletic eligibility. The withdrawal date is published in the academic calendar each semester.